Author Topic: Is this good value for a GH?  (Read 8232 times)

irridium

• Acre
Is this good value for a GH?
« on: April 21, 2013, 19:06:03 »
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7050826.htm spotted this as they have a 25% on some GHs and wondered if  it's worth the price from £300 to £200. I don't really have the space for this unless I move a few pots and then the path along the washing line will be v. narrow indeed, but then there isn't an alt. that is available. all I know is that i'm kinda desperate for a more sturdier gh as the one i have is only a plastic walk-in (7 shelves) but after 3 years or so, Wilko's and such places don't sell teh replacement covers anymore and this year, i thought duct tape might work, but sadly it didn't (waste of £9 :BangHead: :BangHead:) as the rain soon paid to that (only one rainfall as well.)

what do you lot think?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Is this good value for a GH?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 19:21:05 »
Umm..Hmm..well...If I would be buying one...for that price I don't feel exactly ripped off..but I propably would want to pay slightly less as it is 6x4 as I should imagine getting 6x8 for that price. BUT..then again..it is over a year or so last time that I was looking prices.
Let me do little 'look around'...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 19:22:34 »
Ok...I literally just picked first one on my 'list'...and this came up.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-x-4-Aluminium-Greenhouse/dp/B0060LSS4I

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 19:24:50 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 19:25:17 »
Love the cleaning instructions- "wipe clean with a damp cloth" !

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 19:31:02 »
thanks for that GL. Now all I need to do is work out how to pay for this! has anyone bought one of these before as i need to know if they're worth having.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 19:37:54 »
Is you garden exposed to strong winds? I admit I haven't used any GH with polysheeting..but I've seen them in display and to me they do look like they could be easily blown over. Having one with glass has more weight on to start with. Other issue is the light..if your garden is slightly restricted with good light levels..'poly' sheeting is not letting as much light through as glass does..so plant growth can be affected.
But 'poly' is more 'child proof' if that should become a issue.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 19:51:38 »
site: sheltered E-facing in a v. small back garden of a terraced house.  the space it'll occupy will be v. tight - only 5' wide as i've a raised bed to contend with also. i'm kinda talking myself into buying this although, some might say it's not appropriate as i wouldn't have the space to walk properly to get to put my washing up or to reach the other half of the garden!

only 'child' i have is the cat, so with a real glass GH, it should be more cat-proof as he does like climbing on the plastic one thus, furthering more holes in the cover!! :BangHead:

polysheeting isn't ideal as glass it better for light conditions and aesthetically-pleasing to the eye.

steveg1966

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 19:55:32 »
Have a look on eBay you will properly get a really good second hand one I paid £70 for mine it 8ftX6ft an it had 3 Paine's of glass missing which cost about £18 to replace.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 19:56:17 »
That one in Homebase propably would suit you then..have you got Homebase near you as they propably have one there on display?

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 20:14:57 »
yes, there are two in town. i shall have a gander. just checked on gumtree, steveg1966 and there's a 6x6' glass GH for £100 about 10miles from here, and although it's bigger than the ones I've just been looking at from GL's links, this is making me want it! i really don't know how it'll fit in the garden when the 6x4 one is going to be tight!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 20:21:06 »

really don't know how it'll fit in the garden when the 6x4 one is going to be tight!
Sod the washing line! You know GH is much more important :icon_cheers:

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 20:25:50 »
Have a look on eBay you will properly get a really good second hand one I paid £70 for mine it 8ftX6ft an it had 3 Paine's of glass missing which cost about £18 to replace.

oh dear, guess what you've gone and made me do??!! i've just placed a bid on a 6x4 glass one and currently i'm the highest at £34 with 4 other bidders. 3 days to go. collection is in Mansfield so it's not too far away.

GL: the washing line is just too important to ignore (it's story for another day so i won't bore you!) so it has to stay!!

Mikeakabigman

• Half Acre
  • Haslemere, Surrey
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 08:30:15 »
If you don't win the e-bay auction, why not try Freecycle, I got an 8x6 last week for free, just dismantled it and and took it away ! only cost me the price of the fuel  :) You have to be quick in asking, I missed several over the last two months but perseverance paid off in the end.
Kind regards

Mike.
My blog.   http://mikeyoungarps.blogspot.co.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 11:32:24 »
Dont forget to look if you can get cashback on these if your going to buy online

Quidco do 5% on amazon , 1.5% on homebase & 4% b&Q, 1.5% on argos and 20% on gardening direct :) http://www.quidco.com/user/1325973/232323

Topcashback 1.5% argos, 2.02% homebase, 10% b&Q, 12.5% from gardening direct and zero from amazon  http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/cambourne7?source=tellafriend

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 00:02:11 »
FOr reference I paid about 300 quid for a secondhand 20x10 Robinsons with horti glass and a lot of vents a couple of years ago...and I reckon I've spent another 300 on it for auto kits for some of the vents and replacing some of the glass with twinwall (so the neighbour's kids don't have to worry if they're playing football in the back garden)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal