Author Topic: New Chickens Blood in Poo  (Read 2040 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
New Chickens Blood in Poo
« on: April 06, 2013, 13:41:12 »
Hi All,

I have now got my hens  :icon_cheers: The tray in the house which I have been cleaning every other day is covered with newspaper. Today I noticed some blood in some of the poo. It was in one place so I am assuming its just the one hen.

Can anyone give me some guidance here as I am a newbie with keeping hens and am very concerned.

They are all happy and there usual selves. I have only feed them layer pellets. I also cleaned there run today and didnt notice any blood there but would have been harder to notice as the run is on soil with some straw on it.

Thanks
Steve

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: New Chickens Blood in Poo
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 19:30:38 »
It may be nothing more than a little of the egg-production lining coming away.  But it may indicate worms.  Do you know whether they've been wormed recently?  There's a product called Flubenvet that you should administer every few months.  It comes as a powder.  You mix it carefully in their feed, and they continue with it for a week.  There are no problems with eating the eggs.

You can also get herbal anti-worming remedies, but they're more of a preventative than a cure.

steve1967

• Half Acre
Re: New Chickens Blood in Poo
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:34:40 »
Thanks melbourne, hopefully its the egg production lining as you say. It has got better since I posted this hardly any blood there yesterday. I got the hens on Good Friday from a local breeder. I didnt ask about worming but was told they had been vacinated.

Thanks for the advice on the worming will get some Flubenvet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal