Author Topic: Manure with shavings  (Read 3079 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Manure with shavings
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:10:56 »
Hi All,

Would like your advice on this. I have a large horse stables near to me with an endless supply of manure. My question is this. Is it ok to use manure whitch has wood shavings in it. The manure also contains straw I think the shavings are from the arena which is all mixed in together.

Thanks
Steve

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Manure with shavings
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:30:21 »
Only if left to rot for a good few years!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:26:20 »
Steve, I use it every year and find it excellent as a soil conditioner. It's probably about a year old when I get it, and I use it straight away.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:35 »
I have used it every year in my rooftop garden, garden shares and now my allotment. Straight fresh as delivered to our plots for free. I spread a 3-4" layer and dig it in. I mulch my berry canes and bushes with it as well. It would be better to have old mature broken down stuff but who has time to let it rot unless you have a huge space to leave it for a year!!

"People" say not to use it fresh but hey with some added fertilizer it works wonders. "They" say it takes out the nitrogen to break down... well it borrows it and then adds it back later on so a bit of fert and chicken pellets does wonders.

See my results on my blog www.gavinconway.net
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:51:10 »
Thanks guys.

It is well rotted it was just the fact that shavings are mixed in with it. Just wanted to be sure. I intend to give the plot a good covering this autumn so need to start stockpilling it soon.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 19:12:04 »
I did some tests on the horse manure with lots of wood shavings, that was delivered to our site last year. One pot had a mixture of my soil with the manure and the other pot just had my soil. I sowed some salad mixture seeds in both pots and treated them exactly the same. The pot with the manure mixture only grew plants half the size as the soil on its own.
The reason could be depletion of nitrogen as the wood shavings decayed, and maybe the increase in acidity caused problems.
Either way, I left the manure in my heap and will not put it on the soil till next winter. Other plotters on our site who dug in the manure to their soil had very poor crops. I rest my case!! If you must add it to your soil, I would suggest that you leave it on top of the soil, and do not dig it in for at least a season.
I now only add fertiliser to my soil at the same time as I plant crops, thus ensuring that my plants get the maximum effect of the available nutrients.
I am not convinced by the argument that you will get the nitrogen used up by the bacteria during the time that they rot the wood, back again once the would chips have rotted. I suspect that some of the nitrogen may be converted into ammonia gas by the bacteria and lost into the atmosphere. And some of the nitrogen present will be leached out of the soil by the rain in the intervening period. It is 50 years since I did chemistry and I am very rusty on the subject, and I would be interested to hear to views of a chemist or biologist.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

clackvalve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 21:39:55 »
It is true that the wood shavings/chippings will take nitrogen out of the soil but if you mix it with the manure and leave it to rot for a year then when you put it in the ground it will not.
 One thing that you need to do is mix 20:1 green to brown. grass cuttings are great to mix with brown stuff as they contain loads of water,generate loads of heat and then the heat will help rot everything in yur heap

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 08:37:08 »

One thing that you need to do is mix 20:1 green to brown. grass cuttings are great to mix with brown stuff as they contain loads of water,generate loads of heat and then the heat will help rot everything in yur heap

green to brown should be a much higher %. I make black gold and usually have  between 25 and 50% brown. I don`t tend to use sawdust or wood, as wood, but I shred cardboard and paper, which are obviously made from wood anyway. I don`t need to leave my compost too long this way and it gets hot quickly enough. If I were adding wood then I would leave a lot longer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal