Author Topic: Too late for horse manure?  (Read 2532 times)

Davidberry

• Not So New ...
Too late for horse manure?
« on: April 02, 2013, 15:41:17 »
I have managed to find a source of horse manure near me.  Is it too late to put it on the plot?  Should I put it in trenches, lay it on top of the beds or put it in the compost heaps?

Any inspired suggestions welcome!!!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Too late for horse manure?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 17:22:10 »
Depends if it is fresh or rotted down.  If it is nicely rotted (black and rich - most or all the straw gone) then trench it or use a top dressing/mulch (I cant stand dounle digging so I do the latter)..
If it is fresh then add to compost bin or make a huge pile and leave it to rot.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 21:11:32 »
If it's field tailings then it can just be dug in, if it's stable manure then it'll need rotting... the difference is cause dby all the nitrogen from the horses urine on th estraw apparently.... I grow fairly good spuds and epic pumpkins on fresh field tailings... sweetcorn likes it too... you will get weeds in with field tailings and you don't want to try and grow carrots or parsnips on a bed that's been treated cos they'll fork....

Also the big caveat with horse manure at the moment.... unscrupulous farmers are selling hay to hay agents that shouldn't be leaving their farms as it's been sprayed with Aminopyralid -based weedkillers.... the stuff goes straight through a horse unaffected and will seriously damage beans, tomatoes and gives spuds a hard time... brassicas, onions and cucurbits seem much less affected, sweetcorn doesn't care about it cos it's only there to kill broadleaves, it doesn't affect grasses (of which maize is an example) ... I'd suggest stacking it and sowing some broad beans in pots, once they're up about four incehs plant them in the manure, aminopyralid will show up quickly as growth deformation it goes all twisted and feathery.... the weedkiller will last in the soil for a couple of years, so it's useable, but rotate carefully....

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 23:13:09 »
I agree with Chris!

The key is in the bedding not the droppings.

If it is Hay / straw then Aminopolyprid could be an issue and even storing this type does not necessarily get rid of the problem!

Another type of bedding is wood shavings which is not likely to contain the weedkiller but the rotting down of the shavings can extract nitrogen from the soil that otherwise Would be used by the plants, so the best treatment for this type is to let it rot down before use!

The type we get has thin card cut into 25 mm (1") square and like the shavings is best let to rot down but i have found that using it as delivered seems to be generally OK.

In fact we have just had a couple of loads delivered and i will be digging it into my potato bed.

My other beds were 'mucked' last Oct/nov so this means it has had a chance to rot down.

So my question is what type of bedding has been used in your supply?

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:41:44 »
It may be the case that bedding of straw/hay would increase the risk of weedkiller but as has been found, the weedkiller can be ingested by horses and passes out as dung itself.  Even if the horse was bedded on card/ wood shavings the weedkiller residue would still be there.
Best laid plans and all that

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:45 »
As Chris ways it is worth testing all newly sourced manure with board beans, if there is a problem the leaves will curl up.  I would not recommend burying manure if there is a problem it is difficult to remove.  It breaks down better on the surface.

Actually our worst contaminated manure was full of woodshavings.

I am hoping we are finally finished with the problems of aminopyralid after four years.   

But I do not believe the problem has gone away. 

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 21:17:46 »
Which is why I stick with Westlands organic farmhouse ... not cheap but seems to be clean.
Mind you I'm having some of my daughter's stable manure at the weekend. It may finish up in the compost heap or around the blackcurrants.. I might even do the bean test on it. As you say you can't be too careful although I've not had problems in the past.. :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal