Author Topic: WILD GARLIC  (Read 2178 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
WILD GARLIC
« on: March 31, 2013, 23:03:24 »

Does anyone here on A4A grow or use wild garlic?
And how do you use it?
When is wild garlic harvested?
Is it easy to find in the wild?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: WILD GARLIC
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 23:10:41 »
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 23:16:26 by galina »

Rallychef

• Not So New ...
  • Greystoke, Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 23:19:47 »
We usually have loads of wild garlic growing in the woods to the rear of our house, its a bit late this year (isn't everything), better to use the leaves and flowers rather than the bulbs, a bit milder than your cultivated stuff, but the leaves are great in soups and salads.
Out working with the rally team next week in the forest, will have to have a scout about, but as it had 5ft snowdrifts up there  last week I don't hold out much hope.

regards Ian D

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:44:51 »
We have loads of wild garlic a round here (cornwall ) but don't know if its illegal to re move the roots to a safer place ( my allotment)  :angel11:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:28 »
I looked at Gazzas link and loved the looked of the scrambled eggs. Is Wild garlic invasive?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Rallychef

• Not So New ...
  • Greystoke, Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:39:08 »
Is Wild garlic invasive?

Duke

It would appear quite prolific along the bank of the stream to the rear of our house, When it comes out it appears as a carpet of flowering plants along the woodland stream. But it does look and smell amazing (been down to have a look this morning and one or two leaves are just starting to push through)

regards ian D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:43:42 by Rallychef »

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 20:59:33 »
I looked at Gazzas link and loved the looked of the scrambled eggs. Is Wild garlic invasive?

Duke

As I understand it, only the gentler varieties are merely invasive ...

:toothy10:

Annemieke

• Quarter Acre
    • Thought for Food
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 21:21:05 »
I myself like the leaves best before it flowers - April is a good month for it. It prefers moist wooded/shady areas, so go round sniffing there!
Here are a few recipes - the only one I actually tried is the Wild Garlic Soup. 

WILD GARLIC SOUP
350g wild garlic leaves, 1 large chopped floury potato, butter, 1 chopped onion, 1l water, 100ml cream, salt, pepper, (curry powder).
Saute onion until soft but not coloured. Add potatoes, stirring for a few secs. Pour in water, cook until potatoes almost done. Add wild garlic, cook for 2-3 mins. Blitz. Add seasoning, more water if needed, (a pinch of mild curry powder) and cream, heat through.

WILD GARLIC PESTO
50g wild garlic leaves, 30g pine nuts, 30g grated mature cheese, 80ml olive oil plus extra to cover, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper.
Put everything bar oil in food processor, blitz for a few secs, continue to whizz while slowly adding the oil through a funnel. Transfer to jar, pour enough oil on top to keep covered, close lid. Will keep in fridge for a few weeks.

WILD GARLIC & WALNUT PESTO
100g wild garlic leaves and stalks if tender, 75g shelled walnuts, 8 tblsp of olive oil, salt, pepper.
Blitz in food processor, add more oil if you wish, season.

WILD GARLIC & NETTLE SOUP
Bring 1 pt of water and 1 pt of milk to a simmer, stir in 2 stock cubes. Add 1 large finely sliced potato, two crushed garlic cloves, a chopped leek, a small sliced onion, 150g spring nettles, 150g ramsons, salt and pepper. Cover, simmer for 20 mins. Liquidise, reheat, serve.

Another simple way with this sort of leaves is always: make mash and mix in the chopped leaves at the last moment.
Hope you enjoy it!
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil.

Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 22:37:49 »
Some Tasty Looking soup options Anne,Ive going to try a slight variation with bread  myself when Jude and I source some fresh Garlic,Ill post it if and when we get down to Dorset.

Gazza

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 22:43:43 »

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 23:46:44 »
in my friend's garden, there are 4 borders full of what appears to be something from the garlic family which has leaves that are flat and about 5mm wide with smaller white flowers. they also have the same garlicky smell when you brush past them. can these be picked for eating? these have spread quickly over the last 3 years and my friend has no idea where it came from originally! :disgust:

if they are edible, then it saves me the trouble of taking the ransoms from the woods, then. :toothy10: i'll try and get a pic when i go over there soon.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:01:36 »
in my friend's garden, there are 4 borders full of what appears to be something from the garlic family which has leaves that are flat and about 5mm wide with smaller white flowers. they also have the same garlicky smell when you brush past them. can these be picked for eating? these have spread quickly over the last 3 years and my friend has no idea where it came from originally! :disgust:

if they are edible, then it saves me the trouble of taking the ransoms from the woods, then. :toothy10: i'll try and get a pic when i go over there soon.

Could that be three-cornered leek?  With the typical ridge (the third corner) along the middle of the flat leaves and their white bell flowers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_triquetrum

If it is, then all parts are very edible and a pretty plant to have in the garden too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal