Author Topic: Wisteria coming to get me!  (Read 1823 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Wisteria coming to get me!
« on: March 31, 2013, 17:32:46 »
Well that's what it looks like...We've moved and inherited an unloved garden. On a pergola are two very old looking wisterias. I thought I'd better do something as I could see they were strangling next door's tree. What a mess, bits growing out everywhere no tied in bits or any form of control anywhere. I've never had one before so I'm unsure what the best method of attack might be.I've managed to get the worst out of said tree. Will it die if I cut it back hard or should I leave it till after the flowering season before attempting to tame it? Can anyone advise please?
Smile, it confuses people.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Wisteria coming to get me!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 21:46:31 »
You can cut it now...but if there is some swollen buds, bigger than others..leave them be as they will be the flowerbuds and should come out sometime this spring.
If you are not bothered loosing any flowers...chop as much as you want of the side branches to make nice sturdy frame work....BUT!..all those cuts will grow increased rate this summer, producing lots of new growth that needs cutting back again down to 1/3 of the length of it....and cutting those again down to 2" next winter..around February time.
You will be doing this winter and summer prune every year to keep the frame in check and producing more flowering wood rather than lots of greenery.
If you google 'wisteria pruning'..there is lots of sites that will give you more detail info about it. Its not difficult job..but if you are not keeping up with it, wisteria soon take over the place.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 21:48:19 »
Just to add..this is quite good site.. http://bluewisteria.co.uk/tools/wisteria_care.php

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:55:28 »
Thank you very much for the info Goodlife. Just what I needed to know. This garden is much smaller than the last so I will have the time to restore the wisteria to it's former glory-assuming it was beautiful once!!
Smile, it confuses people.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:50:53 »
Thank you from me too, Goodlife, that's a lot clearer an explanation than most I've read. I had to give mine a huge cut back because it had got into a neighbour's tree, and it didn't hurt it at all - encouraged it, more like! Emagggie, persevere, they are a lot of work but so worth it for those few weeks of glory.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal