Author Topic: compost  (Read 2734 times)

persecuted unlimited

• Quarter Acre
compost
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:45 »
Can anyone recommend a good compost? I usually buy miracle grow and j arthur bower to start my seeds off but this year it is awful and far to fresh to be any good, I will have to throw this into my compost bin and wait till next year before I can use it.

steveg1966

• Quarter Acre
Re: compost
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:35:22 »
I have bought some wilkos potting compost and its been very good this year for a change.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:19 »
Ive never had any probs  with Wilkinsons own compost and its a fraction of the cost!  :happy7:
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:44:30 »
I've been using New Horizon peat-free for a few years. I sieve it for seeds. What do you mean by "too fresh to use"? I didn't know compost could be too fresh!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:07 »
I experimented with a dual system this year, New Horizons peat free, pack that into the modules, sow seeds on top and then cover with a thin layer of John INnes Seed (JAB I think)... good germination out of seed that is for the most part a year old (cos bought in the 50p sakle last September)...

chrisc

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:34:53 »
I'm using Violet Farms MP this year - excellent results sowing pre-chitted seeds into a mix of 1/2 compost, 1/4 perlite and 1/4 sharp sand. I just wish the nights were a bit warmer so I could transfer the seedlings of tomatoes, chillies, celeriac and marigolds to my small leanto GH! I shall use a similar mix for the next sowings - French beans, sweetcorn and squashes towards the end of the month.

Tricia :wave:

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 17:44:39 »
I'm using bog-standard cheap B&Q Verve which is a lovely texture and judging by the way my tomatoes are zooming away, full of goodness too...but am I right in thinking that the likes of B&Q source compost locally, and just use the same labels nationwide? Anyway, the stuff round Derby is good this year.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 18:09:56 »
I experimented with a dual system this year, New Horizons peat free, pack that into the modules, sow seeds on top and then cover with a thin layer of John INnes Seed (JAB I think)... good germination out of seed that is for the most part a year old (cos bought in the 50p sakle last September)...

chrisc

Is that without sieving the NH? That would save a lot of work!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 01:34:32 »

chrisc

Is that without sieving the NH? That would save a lot of work!

Yeah, I fish out the odd twig that's too big for the modules, but stuff seems to like it, not seemed to have a problem with watering or anything... The finer seeds might get sown between two layers (very thin) of JI Seed, and I surfaces-sowed some alpine strawberries expecting low germinationrates adn have thousands of the blighters to pot up now...I think plants generally like NH's open structure once they get going, but it's a bit coarse (and probably a bit fertiliser-heavy) for sowing... the layer of soil-based seed compost solves those issues....only got a handful of things left to do now.... assorted cucurbits (indoors this weekend outdoors in a couple of weeks) , french beans (lots of), beetroots, parsley..... more carrots, then the late-sowing stuff like maincrop carrots (toilet-rolls in 24-cell modules), fennel, chicory etc.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal