Author Topic: So who's reading what???  (Read 12248 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: So who's reading what???
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 21:59:06 »
The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas.

Can't say it's an enjoyable read and I'll be glad to reach the end, to be honest. I wish I was the sort of person who could abandon a book half way through but I'm not! I'm just over half way (and it's quite a thick book) and so far I completely agree with the second review I've just read on Amazon, by TomCat.

[book description taken from Amazon] "At a suburban barbecue one afternoon, a man slaps an unruly boy.

The boy is not his son.

It is a single act of violence, but the slap reverberates through the lives of everyone who witnesses it happen.

Christos Tsiolkas presents the impact of this apparently minor domestic incident through the eyes of eight of those who witness it. The result is an unflinching interrogation of the life of the modern family, a deeply thought-provoking novel about boundaries and their limits."

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 22:38:39 »
Just read the three books of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest, and last but not least,The Girl who played with Fire . By Stieg Larsson very good read also bought the three films .

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:12:04 »
Joanne Harris's "Sleep, Pale Sister", grabbed at the station before I got on a train to Edinburgh last weekend. I love the way she writes but it's longer than it needed to be and not up to her usual standard, but then it was an early book now republished so I probably should have expected that.

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 22:34:10 »
Just finished 'A Question of Balance' by HRH Prince Philip. Chosen by a member of our bookclub.  A selection of his speeches. Glad I finished it. Not as enjoyable as the last choice of the Hunger Games which was unputdownable.

Am in the middle of the Traitor Queen by Trudy Canavan.

if you like something different try 'A discovery of Witches' the first of a trilogy was a blinding good book if you like the fantasy genre.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:35 »
I just bought Shadow of the night..and when starting to read it I realized it was the second book of that Witches trilogy..so now I'm waiting for the first book to arrive.
While waiting I started Christopher Paolini's Inheritance..fourth book in the in Inheritance cycle. All of the books have been 'bricks'..lots to read but very easy reading and scenes flow in my mind like movie  :icon_cheers:
Last couple of weeks I've been reading of Priests that get into naughty things...of blood and murderers..of some dragons and other fantasy creatures and now I have some witches and vampires on hold for later on..
It aint boring.. :icon_cheers:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 13:34:57 »
As I am still off sick with my (mending) broken arm, I have read loads! Asta's Book by Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell) - excellent, I spent a whole afternoon one day on it!  And I am on John irving's Last Nght at Twisted River which as usual is an unusual read but I love his books.
I just bought The Unusual Pilgrimage of harold fry - anyone read that?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 13:37:48 »
I've just finished it and enjoyed it. hadn't realised it was originally an afternoon play on Radio 4.

Annemieke

• Quarter Acre
    • Thought for Food
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 09:06:48 »
For some reason I have been into, mainly Scandinavian, crime novels now for a few years. Not too gory, the author must be interested in the human side.
My favorite is Henning Mankell, (detective Wallander); next Hakon Nesser (Van Veeteren); and then Arnaldur Indridason (Erlendur).
It's a joy to go to bed and my book (and hubbie of course)! :violent1:
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil.

Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 22:19:11 »
Just finished "The turning of the tide" by Liz Shakespear
Its a local history story, backed up by real files and newspaper clippings.
A poor soul, in the workhouse with her 2 sons.
A good read, a little slow in the middle but an eye opener to how things were in 1871.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 11:37:13 »
Just finished "The woman on the bus" by Pauline McFlynn (yes, Mrs Doyle from Father Ted!). Nice heart-warming read with some more serious notes.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 18:28:25 »
I've just finished the 'Rivers of London' trilogy by Ben Aaronovitch, a really entertaining mix of present day London policing mixed with a bit of Sherlock Holmes and magic if you can imagine it!

'London Falling' by Paul Cornell has similarities, also fab but much darker....also like then Alex Versus books 'Fated', 'Cursed' and 'Taken' by Benedict Jacka.

I also a fan of the Deborah Harkess 'Witches' books, waiting for the third one to come out.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 00:08:45 »
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 10:14:32 »
Just started @Capital@ by John Lanchester (20p for Kindle at Amazon!) but not sure I'll finish it if the first few pages are anything to go by!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 11:24:56 »
Halfway through "Citadel" by Kate Mosse, loved her other books this one is still plodding along, I hope it will become a page turner soon.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 14:22:44 »
Actually getting into "Capital" now- the people I didn't like are getting their come-uppance!

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 15:02:10 »
Just started reading  Arens:Barbarian part one, by Simon Scarrow Ive read a few of his mostly about Roman storys I love them :wave: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal