Author Topic: Is the end of this awful cold snap?  (Read 2444 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Is the end of this awful cold snap?
« on: April 04, 2013, 21:29:31 »
Just looked at next weeks weather forecast and it says next Friday (12/4) it will be 13C and on Saturday (13/4) it will be 17C! 

Now I know this is a week away and it still has loads of time to change, but can it be possible that we are actually going to get some slightly warmer spring weather? ....keep fingers crossed.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Is the end of this awful cold snap?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 21:37:10 »
I do believe the mild air will be with us by mid week

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 22:10:14 »
The thaw is in full swing here in North Wales but there's a lot of snow to get rid off, I'm not taking my winter woolies off yet!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:41:16 »
For the past two weeks I've been looking ahead to the next weeks weather and it has had temps ranging from 9oc to 14oc, as the week got nearer the temps dropped from 4oc to 7oc, so lets hope they stay up this time, mind you rain is due with the higher temps.   :BangHead:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:08:15 »
Have a punt on this guy, Terry Scholly - http://www.gavsweathervids.com/terryscholey.html

Someone posted his link a while back and raved about him - seems pretty accurate so far!

Fingers crossed for May!! :sunny:
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:48 »
I am hoping things will warm up midweek.  But I still do not trust it not producing another cold snap the following week.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:46:49 »
no. We are at the start of a little ice age. A couple of warm blasts in april and then a summer like last year, plants will shrivel in the dry soil. I am getting prepared by being picky about the veggies  am growing. Keep an eye on piers corbyn via weatheraction, I am a subscriber and his forecasts over the last 2 years have been stupendously accurate wrt trends. Got to be detached and go with the flow and not with wishful thinking

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 18:13:58 »
I hope it does get warmer soon-I have over 200 tomato seedlings waiting to be pricked out and quartered in a greenhouse. 

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 18:41:40 »
Well I went to the shops today without my woolly hat on, and have put the knitting away.  Hopefully will go to the allotment tomorrow to see if there is any Coundil compost left.  Soon it will be so hot, everyone will be moaning.  :sunny: :sunny:  Apparently good for the fruit trees as last year the warm weather came too soon.  :wave:

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 19:45:32 »
All my tomato and chilli seedlings were losing the will to live in my unheated greenhouse. First time that's happened at this time of year for me, so I decided to bring them indoors at night to the shed where they are under an hps 259W bulb.
These hps bulbs give out a substantial amount of heat as well as light, solving the problem of wastefully heating a whole greenhouse with a heater using at least that much wattage, but without the benefits of the light to help them grow.
It is certainly working! Plants have begin to 'green-up' again. More seeds are sprouting, and stretching of seedlings has stopped.
I just hope it warms up in the next few days though. Plants are sweating while I am freezing!
Can't be right.... Can it? ;-)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 20:57:48 »
Well I went to the shops today without my woolly hat on, and have put the knitting away.  Hopefully will go to the allotment tomorrow to see if there is any Coundil compost left.  Soon it will be so hot, everyone will be moaning.  :sunny: :sunny:  Apparently good for the fruit trees as last year the warm weather came too soon.  :wave:

Heaven help anyone moaning to me about it being too hot!!!!

I did manage to sit ouside on Tuesday in the sunshine and prick out my tomatoes. Still in three layers of thermals. In fact have been since mid July.  :BangHead:

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 21:29:31 »
Well I went to the shops today without my woolly hat on, and have put the knitting away

It was snowing when I left home after lunch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal