Author Topic: Twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse  (Read 5713 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse
« on: March 22, 2013, 20:41:18 »
Hello all.

I'm considering getting a twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse similar to this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350705845094?var=620090925636&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I would appreciate your views on the pros and cons of this compared yo a glass greenhouse.

As always, I look forward to your replies.

Regards

Bluecar

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
Re: Twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 21:01:33 »
I bought a 8x6 polycarbonate greenhouse from www.ukgreenhousesales/Greenhouses/it is a Gardman, it was easy to erect,the framework is in green rustproof aluminium,i also bought the staging from them in a package deal,the one i bough looks more robust than the 1 you have posted the link for,the only thing i would recommend is that you buy extra glazing clips from Wilkinson's stores,as i have used many more than were provided for extra strength,i am very happy with mine and would not go back to glass,the after sales service is good too,i broke 1 of the side panels,phoned them up to buy another 1,they sent it too me free of charge and was delivered 2 days later,i hope this helps,let us know which 1 you decide on.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 21:15:23 »
Hello Davey.

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately I can't make your link work.

Regards

Bluecar

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 22:01:22 »
Im sorry about you not being able to open the link,ive just tried it and there is obviously a problem,that is the address i had in my favourites,ive just been oh the gardman site,typed in my postcode,and it gives the stockist nearest to me as b and q,although it seems they only do the 10 x 6 model
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:21:29 »
I cald one side of my 20x10 Robinsons in twinwall, basically so that my neighbours don't have to worry about their grandkids kicking a ball around and damaging it... it's been perfectly OK these last two years, looks like it has plenty of life left in itas a cladding.... in some ferocious gales it did manage to pop a pane out so if your site is exposed make sure you anchor it well and probably not a bad idea ot use some extra glazing clips

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:51:35 »
I cald one side of my 20x10 Robinsons in twinwall, basically so that my neighbours don't have to worry about their grandkids kicking a ball around and damaging it... it's been perfectly OK these last two years, looks like it has plenty of life left in itas a cladding.... in some ferocious gales it did manage to pop a pane out so if your site is exposed make sure you anchor it well and probably not a bad idea ot use some extra glazing clips

I apologise for going off topic but I was thinking of cladding half twinwall and half glass on a greenhouse myself. Can I just ask did you clad from the ridge down in twinwall on one side or just the bottom wall? I was afraid that the uneven weight distribution might be an issue.
My thinking was the greenhouse was running east to west so cladding the north-side in twinwall would give better insulation without affecting light etc.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 21:41:09 »
Ridge down, my GH runs east-west adn the southern face is twinwall as is the southern roof. THat siad it's not becasue of uinsulation though I find that the diffusing effect of the twinwall does reduce scorch to the point I don't bother shading... Might well at somepoint replace the northern roof with twinwall too, and northern wall with cavity wall of ply, or even hollow concrete blocks and paint the inside silver or white...the only issues I have with my GH are nothing to do with the twinwall, generally to do with the sheer size of the thing.... love it when I'm harvesting baskets of tomatoes every other day, hate it when I think about maybe heating the d**n thing... or washing it...thankfully my garden is long enough that it isn't too intrusive...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal