Author Topic: will growing in 2013 be worth it  (Read 11422 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: will growing in 2013 be worth it
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 11:55:10 »
However dreaful it turns out to be I can at least continue to build raised beds which rise above the floods!
You will need ark..not raise bed!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 16:30:17 »
I hope not! Does anyone know whether gopher wood will grow in our climate?

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 18:21:14 »
Hi Small, sorry I haven't replied, I've been incommunicado for a few days.
To calculate the value of what I harvest I just use the local supermarket or market equivalent at the time.
Most of the surplus harvest go into freezer, chutney or relatives kitchens, virtually none sold, (Must stop giving to relatives, it's bad for the balance sheet!!)
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 19:23:49 »
With another family invasion (about 14) over Easter for a week, I am glad I have a freezer crammed with various fruits, blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants (plum failure, sadly) and apple puree for pies and crumbles and cakes. I have no idea exactly what their monetary value is, but judging by local farm shop prices - a lot.

On GQT Bob Flowerdew stated firmly that if you have limited time, fruit is the most valuable and worthwhile crop. Personally, I would add leeks, beans and peas, spinach beet and sorrel.......

The only vegetables I have to harvest now are leeks - creatures and frost have ruined the spinach beet and chicories, though I have belatedly covered them. I am optimistic that my pot of baby leeks, when it is warm enough to plant them out, will survive whatever the weather throws at them.

I have started off a lot of seeds in the house, but the window sills don't really have enough light for them, and it is discouraging to see them stretching out desperately towards what there is. (No greenhouse).

I have set up a bench outside for the hardier ones (broad beans etc) covered over with plastic sheeting against the cold, and they seem to be surviving.

To put our problems in context, my daughter in Germany has temperatures of minus 15 and deep snow, and no hot water because of frozen pipes. They should be part of the Easter invasion, but are worried about the journey through terrible weather, and about whether their teenage boys are capable of both looking after themselves, the dogs and the hens. Especially worried about the hens' drinking water constantly freezing.....and whether the boys will keep renewing it. Any good ideas about keeping the hens' water from freezing? I have already suggested floating a partly filled plastic bottle in their bowl.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 21:22:19 »
Well last year was the worst year I have ever had on my plot and I have had a the plot for 20 years. But you just shrug your shoulders and get on with it.
Two things I will definitely say.
1) Don't believe the long range weather forecast. The meteorologists struggle to get it right in 5 days ahead let alone months.(That was from a professional meteorologist I met when I did a weather course!!)

2) Don't plant or sow things too early. You rarely lose by planting late - you often lose by planting early.

marcofez

• Not So New ...
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 17:27:23 »
It's always worth it in my opinion. I always seem to have winners and losers with growing stuff every season. All my leafy crops were great last year. Even my sweetcorn was good!!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 20:53:43 »
I planted lady christi potatoes today, they chitted slowly and sturdily and we saw the sun for a short time today. All got covered with crumby soil, then a bit more of the claggy stuff on top. Aquadulce have been outside in root trainers since january and have super root systems, they went out today too. I do think (piers corbyn fan) that we will get some blasts of warm air in april but not a lot, so I want to take advantage of every bit of sun.

I am sowing some seeds in modules tomorrow, just food basics though and ones that will survive a horrible summer. My plot is not that big so every bit of space has to count, we do manage to provide enough for the two of us all year round. The most I will deviate from old fashioned basics this year will be a few courgettes and a couple of squash plants. No point even trying carrots as they just don`t grow on the allotment.

Re the lady c potatoes, they get mature quickly and I can preserve any we don`t eat, they will be up and out well before the blight season, to be followed by hunter squash. Tomatoes, growing nicely indoors for now, are all the strong blight resistant varieties, which will be put under cover for growing. I am really expecting a very short summer, so am planning accordingly

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 10:29:18 »
brassica seeds sown yesterday and tomatoes and chillis are out hardening today, 11 degrees in the back and sunny. Little gem transplanted in planters and more seed sown. Got to go wth the flow

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 12:25:41 »
Strawberry 1,  methinks your thermometer must be in direct sunlight to get that sort of reading!
I don't know where in Zummerzet you are, but the weather station in Wells is showing 3C.

But I know how you feel, I have a day off today and there are quite a few sunny periods, so I have given in to temptation and planted 120 onion sets in pots to go in the little plastic greenhouse and some chillies and toms on windowsills/propagator.
Current local temperature is 3.7c, but almost feels pleasant when the sun is out!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 15:38:57 »
I have no windowsill left...chillies, toms, aubs etc all jostling for space and the propagators are all full....I'm sticking some potatoes in bags this weekend and planning for a short but sweet season. Last year was pretty good for me, most things grew as long as I covered them from the flying rats!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 17:32:35 »
we have a very special house, the back garden is 3 m below the surrounding orchard, so an incredible suntrap, warm when there is the least bit of sun

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal