Author Topic: Azaleas  (Read 2659 times)

planetearth

• Quarter Acre
Azaleas
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:55:55 »
Help!

A flock of sheep broke into my garden while I was away recently and ate nearly everything that was green.

All the buds and greenery within reach on my Azaleas and Rhododendrons have been eaten, so no colour or flowers this year.  Some are 4-5 feet tall and are now completely bare upto 3 feet high.  Berginias grazed to the ground, primulas gone and more.

Will they recover, if so how long will it take.  The farmer has relocated the shhep and will strengthen the fence, how can I help my shrubs.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Azaleas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:12:36 »
Azaleas and Rhodies are tough plants and provided they were established ones, they should start producing new growth this spring.
I would not do much now..other than prune any obviously broken bits that are dangling off. Once the soil start warming up and there is signs of new budding...sprinkle some Blood, Fish and Bone meal  or 'Rhodie food' around.
The new growth should produce some flowers next year.
As for your other plants...there is good chance they will show up as well. It all depends if the roots and the growing points were damaged and to what extent.
Don't give up with them...they are surprisingly resilient plants.. :icon_thumleft:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal