Author Topic: Planting near laburnum stump  (Read 3651 times)

Lawpen

• Not So New ...
Planting near laburnum stump
« on: April 28, 2013, 20:57:28 »
Can anyone tell me if there are problems with growing fruit or vegetables near an old laburnum tree stump.  My husband is concerned that as the tree is poisonous the soil may be contaminated.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Planting near laburnum stump
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 21:36:12 »
Welcome to A4A Lawpen  :wave:

I would be cautious myself, but Im sure someone who knows more than me will be along soon with a more definitive answer  :happy7:
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:23:03 »
Hi and welcome to the forum Lawpen  :wave:

As all parts of the tree are reported to be poisonous, any roots remaining in the ground may still be poisonous? How old is the tree stump?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Lawpen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 13:15:46 »
The stump is probably about 15 years old but hasn't shown any signs of breaking down and if we removed it we would be cutting into roots, which wouldn't be a good idea.  I think we will have to err on the side of caution and not plant anything edible in the area.  Thanks for replies.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 18:14:02 »
Plant root hairs are very fine and take up disolved nutrients in solution from the soil. They can't take up toxins from other plants particularly dead ones. Imagine wild blackberries gowing next to deadly nightshade in a hedge, you can pick the blackberries as they are not poisonous whatsoever.

Some A4Aers put rhubarb leaves under their gooseberry bushes with no ill effects on the fruit. Likewise tomato and potato leaves are noxious but the tomatoes and potatoes delicious. Runner bean roots are poisonous but not the runner beans themselves. There are many similar examples.

So don't worry about planting anything near your old laburnum stump. Providing there is enough depth of soil for what you plant it will be perfectly ok. :happy7:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 18:17:21 by ed dibbles »

Lawpen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 20:55:49 »
Thank you.  My OH is reassured now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal