Author Topic: Newly Chipped Wood  (Read 3230 times)

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Newly Chipped Wood
« on: March 10, 2013, 18:06:07 »
If I put newly chipped wood on the paths between my raised beds, will it affect the soil in the beds? I am thinking of nitrogen stripping?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Newly Chipped Wood
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 19:27:47 »
We have  had chipped bark on paths on my plot for years and have had no noticeable problems. My plot is made up of raised beds so the bark is kept away from the planting area. The soil in our beds are well fed etc and we have good yields too. When we have a bad year with certain vegetables other plot holders without chipped bark paths do too :tongue3:

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 20:31:51 »
Judging by the number of weeds that like to grow in my chipped bark paths even over membrane they don't inhibit much for very long!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 22:11:10 »
I'm the same as Duke, no issues with it here. I try to put a good inch or more each year on my paths and it seems to keep most weeds at bay although the odd dandelion gets through

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 16:39:12 »
We're just replacing ours, never had a problem either  :happy7:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 17:23:29 »
No, we have truck loads of it delivered to our plots and almost everyone puts it down quite think, neverf a problem I have heard of XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 20:20:52 »
No problem at all. A good system is to add fresh chippings annually, using the old stuff to mulch round suitable crops in the beds. I tend to do this in mid summer once plants take of. By the time you get to the end of the season a lot of it has broken down and disappeared in to the soil.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:21:32 »
Thanks for all the replies. I now have to find a friendly tree surgeon!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:23:10 by InfraDig »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal