Author Topic: Turn milk cartons into plant pots and cloches  (Read 15223 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Turn milk cartons into plant pots and cloches
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 14:57:09 »
NattyEm - no the ones here are white. we had clear ones for a while that i didn't want to use as pots for that same reason. instead, i turned them upside down and they became mini cloches for seedlings.
gone to pot :D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 21:50:37 »
recycling huh ?
I have now taken to collecting used tea bags from work and bringing them home.  (who is that strange woman ?)
other than all the other stuff mentioned above ....... we use the top half of pop bottles sunk in the ground next to corn and toms to water them.  Muller yoghurt pots for seeds.  Ooh and broccoli comes in polystyrene boxes that we have used before for seeds.  Also we managed to pick up some plastic crates from the greengrocers that once had soft fruit in - ideal for chitting spuds as they can be stacked.  Video tape as bird scarers and also to mark seed rows.  Goal post netting for beans.  Wet wipe canister as a string dispenser.  blah blah blah.   I too have to look at everything twice before it gets chucked.
Get with the beat Baggy

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 22:08:23 »
LOL Baggy !

My kitchen is starting to look rather dodgy ! :o ::) There are milk cartons and plastic bottles strewn around the sink and anyone walking in to my kitchen would think I have a milk factory !!  I also have a mass of margaring tubs which, I am sure, will come in handy somewhere.  But I am sure I will use them all up this week end! Hope the weather stays nice!

;D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 06:59:01 »
EJ are you using the little green stoppers to aid the flow.
Chris Pea

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2005, 07:24:52 »
Marianne,

The margarine tubs I find great for picking raspberries into, and then freezing them, they hold a nice amount so you can thaw out just what you want, and they stack well in the freezer.

Brian

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 17:31:46 »
Hi Brian

WE live between two rivers and last year, we used to walk along the banks and pick so many blackberries and raspberries, we did not know what to do with them.

We used to fill ten 1kilo margarine tubs, bring them home, wash them and them freeze them !  We still have some in the freezer from last summer !

;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2005, 08:39:33 »
The proof of the pudding .....   this is the Bisto Yorkshire pud container I used as a propagator.  It's great, plus I had to eat all of the Yorkshires first  ;D

The seedlings are French Marigolds for my companion plantings.  It just shows how easy it is to make something from stuff that would otherwise end up in a landfill

My wash house is piling up with plastics at the mo just in case they might come in handy
I came, I saw, I composted

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2005, 13:43:16 »
I use the margarine tubs for freezing individual portions of soup, or whatever else I have cooked in bulk. They stack nicely in my freezer and are just the right size.
Who planted all these weeds?

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2005, 17:29:40 »
Oh Wardy ! How cool is that !   8)  It looks so very nice and professional !  And when you think some people go out to "BUY" these things when you can get them for free !

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2005, 23:27:06 »
And the seeds were only 27 p from Lidl  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2005, 19:33:49 »
 ;) :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal