Author Topic: how many courgettes planning this year!  (Read 9181 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Re: how many courgettes planning this year!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 08:29:02 »
I've got about 5 varieties for this year. I dehydrate any that get a bit big and we have them instead of crisps. Delicious!

Hi Sparrow , thats a great idea ...can you tell us how to do this  please ? :)
Trespassers will be composted !

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 21:56:17 »
Seconded Sparrow - I would love to hear how you dehydrate the courgettes. I have a newly purchased dehydrator and need lots of tips!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 23:48:08 »
Hi, probably a silly question but what's the definition of an early courgette and how do you know which are which :)
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 00:00:28 »
I start off with Cavilli and Clarita.  (got 250 seeds a few years ago so it will be interested find out how long they will last in the freezer.  Cavilli is becoming difficult to get the seeds
The first ones go outside beginning of may with a strawbale for protection and bottle cloches.
Then Gold rush.  Planted Zephyr last year and hardly got any, it likes my garden but not the lottie so that will stay at home this year. 
I grew quite a lot of mine up posts last year and they did really well.  Took up less space.
How many plants probably about 12 in three sowings.    I am renown for having far too many. 
Also interested in these dried courgettes crisps
For me early courgettes are simply sown earlier.  Though Cavilli has an advantage it is self fertile, so does not need the insects so does well under glass, plastic or a fleece. 
also self fertile are Parthenon (Green) and Goldmine (yellow striped).
Some varieties are more cold sensitive than others. 

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 08:00:17 »
Digeroo, I couldn't find Cavalli but this Best of British sounds interesting
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetable-Seeds-1/Courgette-Seed_2/#.VuJ5i_DfWrU

Regards straw bale...are you planting in one..?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:02:04 by Hector »
Jackie

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 13:32:20 »
I too would love to know more about dehydrating courgetts, moreover I would like to know the cheap and dependable  dehydrator. I bought a food processor to slice courgetts ,so do not want to spend too much for dehydrating as well :p

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 18:03:02 »
also self fertile are Parthenon (Green) and Goldmine (yellow striped).

I didn't know about Goldmine, I've just ordered a pack  :BangHead:

I think as Digeroo says both Cavili and Partenon/Parthenon readily set fruit without the need to be pollinated which can be quite a bonus early season of when the weather is very wet. As soon as Partenon formed flowers it started to produce a very steady stream of fruits, hoping it will repeat last years success. 

I couldn't find Cavalli   
I bought mine from tuckers last year, I don't know if they still stock them.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 20:28:22 »
I've got about 5 varieties for this year. I dehydrate any that get a bit big and we have them instead of crisps. Delicious!

Hi Sparrow , thats a great idea ...can you tell us how to do this  please ? :)

Sure! I have the Andrew James dehydrator, which is cheap & cheerful. Courgettes shrink 2/3 in size when you dehydrate, so I cut on an angle now to avoid just ending up with shrapnel. Slice about 2mm thick, lay out on the trays and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice - I use salt pepper and a few drops of lemon juice, or chilli flakes. Dry on about 50C till they are dry all the way through. They will stick to the trays & shatter if you've cut them too thin. They also reabsorb moisture quite quickly from the atmosphere so will be soggy after an hour or so out in the air. Store in an airtight jar

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 10:18:13 »
JayB thank you. Just ordered them from Tuckers....and a few shallots fell in my basket.....
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal