Author Topic: Messages/Reminders?  (Read 3664 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Messages/Reminders?
« on: March 03, 2013, 17:38:46 »
I have now got to take a tablet first thing in the morning. I keep forgetting (I also forget to take my evening ones too, stupid old .....). Is there any way of getting my Windows 7 machine to flash up a Message when it is first turned on?
Gardening is the great leveller.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Messages/Reminders?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 19:50:20 »
I keep my reminders on my mobile phone.  Works ok as long as I have the phone with me.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 20:22:17 »
Got to be honest I am the same bought a tablet dispenser with the days of the week on it put it by your computer this may help you remember failing that we will have to take turns sending you daily messages :tongue3:
m j gravell

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 20:27:24 »
Send your self an e-mail!

I can get my Outlook account to give me reminders and I think most e-mail thing- gumyjigs have a calander which can flag up a reminder. I think Rugbyposts idea is more sensible though, after a while you do get into the habit! I mark on the calander when I have my inhaler and that helps (also when it needs renewing)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 20:32:27 by pumpkinlover »

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 22:56:25 »

I have to change my pain-patches every three days, its strong stuff and its not the only medication I take by a long way, so losing the numeric track of days is a lot easier than I used to think it could possibly be. :BangHead:

A gmail or  googlemail account lets you link to a calendar they also provide, and that can then send you an email or display a screen pop-up, or both, whenever you choose an alert. Easy-peasy. You can even sync the calendar with your mobile phone or tablet. (I assume other email providers do the same too.?)

The best part?

Its all free, of course. :-)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 23:57:49 »
I use phone as well.  Had to take some which were one set three times a day and the other four times, so set it to bleep and tell me which colour.  Also I do not switch off the bleep until I have taken the tablet as I would forget whether I had taken tablet.

Email no good I would forget to check so it would be: Oh dear I see that got an email yesterday to remind me to take a tablet. :BangHead:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:45:44 »
Thanks folks. Mobile phone is no use, we get no signal here, so I would have to go down the road a mile or so to be reminded. Not that I even have a mobile phone since they are no use to us.
Will try the Email route until I get into the habit.

Just spent ages trying to work out how to get either Yahoo or Gmail to send a reminder every morning when I first switch on the Computer and failed utterly. For the life of me I cannot see how to do it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:09:31 by Palustris »

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44:43 »
This kludge works on XP, haven't got a Win7 in front of me to try

start/run/notepad, add the following (note the periods after selected echoes):

@ECHO OFF
cls
echo.
echo.
echo TAKE YOUR MEDICINE !
echo.
echo.
pause

save the file as c:\reminder.bat

goto Documents and Settings\<your username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
right click
new shortcut
browse to C: and select reminder.bat , give it a name and click ok

each login should then flash the reminder up  :coffee2:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:09 »
Thanks. Will give it a whirl when I have more time.
Sorry, being a total duffer today, but it does not seem to work. Despite being an Administrator it tells me I do not have permission to save the file.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:22:30 by Palustris »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 13:03:24 »
Stick a post it note on your fridge door so you should se that first thing in the morning and a post it note on your bedside table for the evening.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 17:32:57 »
You and the Boss think alike. She has put s 'sticky' on the front of the Computer where I can definitely fail to see it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal