Author Topic: cheeky people  (Read 6931 times)

Nora42

• Acre
cheeky people
« on: March 13, 2013, 15:07:20 »
Hello you may have read of my outrage at my allotment being described as part of the garden of the house that backs onto it?
well the house has now been renovated -the garden flattened and laid to lawn the beautiful green house smashed and gone, poor Rita will e so upset.

on a recent visit to the plot I noticed my spade had gone - slightly peed off about that. next visit my fork and hoe were gone too, really peed off by now so I had a quick look about to see if I could spot them. had to go home and get a spade and fork so I could plant some raspberry canes. I was with my little girl who a little bored looked over the waist high fence that the new home owners have erected. look at all the flowers Mum she called, so I popped a look over the fence and laughed at all the crocus and daffodils growing out of the lawn that had once been flower beds, quite literally the builders have pulled out what they can and just covered the rest with lawn, lets call it Rita's revenge. I looked up and there leaning against the brick out house was my fork and hoe, no sign of spade. I had to tresspass into the garden to get them back.
so when i see these new neighbours of mine I think I am going to have a chat about what's mine is not yours - I have visions of stolen produce.

what do you all think off that?

Nora
Norf London

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: cheeky people
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 15:21:11 »
agree very cheaky although it might have been quite innocent i would not go in all guns blazing :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 20:26:49 »
I'd find it hard not to erupt, but I wonder whether they actually think the allotment is theirs?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 22:04:46 »
Have they dug the plot over for you yet? 

I think I would assume a misunderstanding about the plot and ask for the spade back.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:21:20 »
Misunderstanding my arse, lay down the law from day one and keep the council/committee informed of the goings on.   :coffee2:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:18 »
Put a fence up now.

Even if the Estate Agent was claiming your allotment was part of their property, the Land Registry documents would show where the boundaries are.  So you could be in for a shed load of nuisance with crop nicking etc when you start growing.

Good fences make good neighbours.

You can do a fence out of sticks rammed in the ground and pallets threaded through them so it doesnt have to be expensive.  Plant hawthorn in amongst the pallets for extra deterrent.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:57:56 »
Hi Nora.
How about writing them a polite letter explaining the situation? It may help to defuse the situation somewhat.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:12:55 »
I would definitely put a note thro the door asking if they have seen your spade etc.   Also the pallet idea is a good one.  Or some 6ft canes stuck in the ground and cross braced.  Water butts, anything to indicate a line between the plot and their garden.

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 18:10:38 »
Misunderstanding my arse, lay down the law from day one and keep the council/committee informed of the goings on.   :coffee2:

Now there is an Enfield guy speaking. :glasses9: :happy7:

If you decide to plant a living fence pyracantha will work. the thorns on that are evil. No wonder it has a rather impolite name amoung gargeners. :toothy10:

All this is very upsetting for you.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 14:22:09 »
Hi everybody thanks for the humour here I knew there would be some I am about to write another post, "Don't be fooled by little old ladies!"

I will pop a note through the door or even ring the bell this weekend and have a chat. I hjave to say if thy had borrowed the tools and put them back who would have known?

We cannot put up fences part of the covernebt of the suburb we live on and on the allotment we are not allowed hedges.I will try at some point to put a photo in the gallery and you can see what I mean.
my home intenet is down so at the moment I am in Starbucks hell using their connection.
Nora
Norf London

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 17:51:05 »
No need for hedging, just grow a standard blackberry or two......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal