Author Topic: Potato&rye bread  (Read 3429 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Potato&rye bread
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:32 »
This something I've been 'playing' with last couple days. I have eaten this type of bread many times and it is readily available in shops in Finland. The origins of it comes from Western Finland..my roots are from Eastern side of the country where baking traditions are very different. I've never tried making it so I finally decided to have a go. I decided to take more of simple approach to the recipe as depending of the occasion and recipe, it could take few days to make the bread..
Basically it is made of with rye sourdough starter, rye and wholemeal flour, black beermalt water, caraway, salt, molasses  and mash potatoes with thingy of butter.
I just did it all two stages..souring the dough with starter and adding it to sweetened mash potato mix and proceed as 'usual' with bread making.
On longer version even the potato mix would have been left to 'sweeten' for a day or so to allow the mast to spice up and create different flavour. BTW...potato in bread dough makes it nice and moist and it keeps its 'fresh' feel slightly longer.
In West they didn't bake their bread regularly...everyday bread was baked only few times a year and it was then hung up under the eaves,high up from dust and dirt, to dry and when used it was broken to be dibbed into soups and caseroles or added into foods to get it soft and edible again. Soft bread was only for special occasions and little eaten after baking day.

To continue..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:39:27 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Potato&rye bread
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:59:10 »
This turning to history lesson...but I'm quite excited so bare with me.. :toothy10:
Then I wanted to try the dried 'everyday ' version of the bread. Same dough just little more extra work.
This 'everyday' version is baked more flat with hole in the middle...once baked..it is traditionally hung up to dry (slowly drying)..but I've eaten and do love the thinner and crispier way..after baking when it is still hot the breads are cut half and baked again and then hung up to dry. They are truly crunchy when ready but not toothbraking hard.
I've only made few to trial and now that I know I can make them...I'll be making 'boat load' of them.
I don't have to ask my mother to bring them to me from Finland anymore ..now that can I do my own.. :icon_cheers:
As you can see..I've got some hanging to dry on front of my stove...normally I dry apple rings on there..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:40:53 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:36 »
One more.. :sunny:
And if you wonder what happened to the hole pieces...they are baked as same, but being so small they dry out in second baking without any necessay further drying...I already had mine...YUM YUM.
 In shops these little round pieces are called 'coat buttons' or depending of  manufacture 'rye buttons'  :icon_cheers:
Just perfect little snack size 'cracker breads'  :icon_thumleft:
here is commercial version..http://www.suomikauppa.fi/product_info.php?products_id=6713

It is sooooo nice to able to something traditional and that many don't bother to learn anymore...good to keep old skills going.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:42:14 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:24:18 »
Hmm...'thingy of butter'....I didn't write that description..but obviously what we normally call 'little piece' of butter is too rude to be allowed being published.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 13:50:45 »
That was so interesting Goodlife!
I cannot imagine what these loaves of bread looked and tasing like after hanging for a couple of months.
Did they keep a sourdough starter going all that time between bakes?
Hmm...'thingy of butter'....I didn't write that description..but obviously what we normally call 'little piece' of butter is too rude to be allowed being published.
:tongue3:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 14:21:53 »
Good looking loaf and love your method for drying the 'bread rings'. Agree with PL, intresting to hear the history  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 15:28:45 »
I cannot imagine what these loaves of bread looked and tasting like after hanging for a couple of months.
Did they keep a sourdough starter going all that time between bakes?
Yes..the starter was kept alive..although there few different ways doing so. My gran had wooden bread dough barrel which was never ever washed. After the dough was taken out little handfull was left in the bottom to dry out and suppose the yeast over the years get into grooves of the wood too...so the starter for the next lot was in there waiting...just  a cloth was placed over the barrel to keep dust away and allowed air in or you would risk everything going mouldy.  But the difference to Eastern Finland traditions are/were that they baked their bread in weekly batches and the bread was eaten as 'soft/fresh' .
I supposed that in West they used the 'old bread method' as a starter...piece of bread from previous batch was soaked in water until it dissolved, this was added flour and starter was grown again..the bread was there to give the new starter the flavour of the previous batches. Also thoroughly dried bit of starter can be crumbled into freshly prepared batch to activate it all....or winter freezing some wouldn't be problem and it would kept the starter alive.
Taste wise it would taste just 'normal'..the drying makes the bread last loooooong time..bit like 'ship biscuits' in this country. Kept in dry conditions and they keep for ages.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 15:48:28 by goodlife »

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 20:16:54 »
That was so interesting goodlife. it is lovely to learn about someone's food history. And wonderful that you are keeping your food traditions alive. :happy7:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 19:58:28 »
Just one thing to say to you Goodlife, Wonderwomannnnnnnnnn. :icon_cheers: :drunken_smilie:.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 12:00:33 »
I luv our Continental mix of folk in here Goodlife as it broadens our eating habits "if we so wish" and your story was interesting and the bread looks so tasty......the coat buttons look a fun snack to have too.
I luv the farm ideas of food and letting things hang around till eaten,dad was born in East Prussia in the 20,s and he and his 8 sisters would help mother on their small holding,hunting and hanging meat and baking  pumpernickle breads that sat stored for ages before eating or burying barrel loads of cabbage for sauerkraut...yet today we rely on a sell by date and throw away so much.....how old times,and food traditions were so much better in some ways .......cheers for your thread as it made me sit and think..... :wave:

Gazza 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal