Author Topic: I need your help..dogs  (Read 4948 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I need your help..dogs
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:50:07 »
Now we are in a position to offer a great home to a dog we have been looking but over here it is a disaster. There are many many adverts for mixed puppies which fetch hundreds of dollars.n There is  big scam going on with rehoming unwanted dogs, they are being brought in from othr provinces where they are bought cheaped, then flipped for high prices.

Breeding small dogs to small dog of any breed is going on all the time, and purebred?? with no papers are popular.

We want a dog with pedigree, ckc registration and the backing of a good breeder behind us, plus we don't want any dog that will be docked etc. I know it is illegal in the UK but not  so here.

We are now looking to the UK to buy a puppy and have it or perhaps a pair shipped over, I feel so much safer doing this than running the rubbish gauntlet here. We want Kennel Club registered puppies from breeders reccomended by folks that  know.
Does anyone have any personal connections with any reputable breeders we may contact or consider please, we are still short listing dogs and there are still qiute Aafew breeds that we may be interested in

I would be most grateful oif anyone could help, it is causing a huge headache here and I willm not be party to buying from puppy farms or dog flippers, |very little is trustworthy here now.

I am familiar with shipping procedures so no worries on that score

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: I need your help..dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:35:51 »
Jeannine, my brother and sister in law who live in Ellicott City, Maryland, have two cocker spaniels, mother and daughter, which they bought from a reputable breeder that they have used before over the years.  If you are interested, I can pm you my s-i-l's email address and she could let you know if there are any more cockers for sale at the moment.  It might be easier to buy a dog from the USA than to have one shipped from Great Britain. 

I don't know what sort of dog you are looking for but cockers are very loving though require a lot of grooming.  Here are some pictures of their dogs.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:38:45 »
Hi Pauline, I love American Cocker Spaniels but it is not a breed I would get at this time, they look like very nice dogs too.

Thank you

XX Jeannine
Pauline I should have added that one one reason for getting a dog from the UK is that tail docking is illegal there now not    so in the US and only one or two provinces here in Canada have banned it. We don't want a dog that has been docked which gives us much more breeds to chose from in the now so we are just looking genreally, thetre are many dogs that woulf fit our needs and it really come doen to the short list and just what is available.

Border Terrier
Norfolk Terrier..possibly a Norwich
Beagle
Cardigan corgi
Clumber Spaniel
Soft Coated Wheaten
Hungarian Puli
Brussells Griffon, long coat
Mini Dachsi smoothie
Cavalier King Charles

But there so many more that we may settle on.

Not the extra large breeds like any of the mastiffs, St Bernards ,Newfies etc,not German Shepherds, Rotties or Dobes,  not most of the toys although there are a couple in the pot.Very few Hounds or Gundogs.  No white dogs, no poodles,no schipperkes,keeshonds, pointers,no OES ( we showed them for years)

I like many of the breeds which are a no no but they are just not right for us now.

Something will pop up and yell here I am .

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:56:32 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 13:19:26 »
We had our Cavalier from a breeder on the Isle of Wight. Everything seemed ok, including them being members of a group that were trying to breed heart defects out.

Just before she was 6, her heart function dropped like a brick and she was dead in months, so probably best not to recommend them :dontknow:

Definitely a good idea for you to ask for recommendations, as people may well know the long term  situation with the breeders too.

We looked into getting a basenji, as they didnt need too much exercise and didnt moult. Apparently, though, they yodel instead of barking, so the neighbours may object,lol
 :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 17:38:01 »
Funny you should mention a Basenji which is one you don't here of much cos my best friends son who just lost his aging Lab is thinking of looking for one XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 19:03:32 »
Well, if he gets one, let me know if the yodelling is true :toothy10:
 :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 00:53:07 »
I will do that XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:23:43 »
Well we have decided which breed and have found a breeder. Funnily enough she also bred OES when I was showing them in the UK many years ago, then she got this  new littler breed which I adored, I never got one but it has always been a dream. She moved to Canada just 3 years before me ion the 70s and she is still showing. We have to go on a waiting list so hope it is not too long, they are on the other side of Canada and my chosen breed is

The Hungarian Puli

I will post you pictures as soon as I can

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 07:49:03 »
I just looked the breed up, they sound delightful and look stunning :happy7: Do hope you won't have to wait too long.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 16:59:23 »
 Video aboiut them here, although the verbal info is not quite accurate on some points.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/dogs-101/videos/puli.htm

The next bit is hilarious   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsZWZddVTng
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 17:10:18 by Jeannine »

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:38 »
That is really funny  :toothy10:

Do they come in light ash blonde? :hippy2:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 18:58:14 »
We have a puppy!!!!!

We were very lucky as the breeder mentioned above had a cancellation and another person who couldn't decide  so we got the offer.

It is a baby boy, we had automatically planned on a girl but we didn't want to ride out the waiting list for a long time

He is coming from the other side of Canada and will be old enough to travel in the middle of April, he might even make it here for our wedding invitation.

I have a picture, he is the one on the left at 5 weeks. We are trying to think up names and so far have come up with Dickens, all help appreciated. We are so excited now, and there was me saying I would never have another dog.

XX Jeannine

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 19:06:00 »
What a beaut Jeannine!  What make is he?

(All I once knew about different breeds of dogs was lost long ago along with my "I-Spy Book of Dogs")  :laughing3:

Sorry....... just read more of the thread: "The Hungarian Puli"  and now I need to goooooogle to find out more.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 19:08:08 by Aden Roller »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 19:20:57 »
Don't forget to look at the link I put on earlier for the beer commercial, it is the lowest one  a couple of pasts back.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:06 »
Soooo cute, bet you can't wait to get that bundle of adorable fun home  :happy7:

Looking forward to the updates  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal