Author Topic: When did I move to Newport Pagnell?  (Read 3278 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
When did I move to Newport Pagnell?
« on: February 26, 2013, 23:52:16 »
Seems that other systems think that I am in Newport Pagnell which is more than 60 miles away.   
I have checked the default location and there is no setting.

Is someone in NP using my computer as a bot?   I keep getting messages to say there is excessive use even when I am doing hardly anything.  But Norton is happy.

I did go there once, had a very nice Risotto.

woppa30

• Half Acre
Re: When did I move to Newport Pagnell?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 15:35:53 »
Lots of web site do a reverse "DNS" look-up on your IP address, by doing this they know where your IP address comes from. I live in Royston, which is about 20 miles south of Cambridge but my ISP, Virgin, route everything through there large Cambridge hub, hence everyone thinks I am based there.
Before anybody relies, I am not looking for a hot date in Cambridge tonight.... which is the usual use of this type of advert :-)
David

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 16:16:17 »
I keep getting messages to say there is excessive use even when I am doing hardly anything.

I take it that is this from your ISP?  Do you know how much they say you are using.  I wouldn't worry about the location thing - Woppa30 is right - but I would be concerned that someone is using your wireless or that your PC is compromised in some way.  We can use a lot more data than we think but if you are just browsing/emailing then it shouldn't be so much as to mean a mail from your ISP..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 00:36:24 »
Many thanks for your respons.  How can I find out if anyone is using  my system?  Have Norton and have run checks.  I do tend to have far too many windows open it is might just be passing information into cache. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:28 »
Firstly take a look at the emails/letters from the ISP and make sure they are genuine - post what they say here if you want.  Most ISPs that use data caps have some sort of online thing to check on your usage so the first thing would be to check with them.  They should be able to tell you what limits you have and how much you are downloading - it may be that you are on a very limited package or they are just trying to get you to upgrad!.  They may well be able to help you further - your router will have a log of what devices have been accessing the net and they may be able to access that info for you.  Depends on the ISP and how much control they have over your router.  You can do this yourself but it is difficult to explain concisely. 
If you have wireless then maybe chgange the password.  Always worth scanning your PC with Malwarebytes as well..  However I would approach your ISP in the first instance to get more info...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal