Author Topic: falafel  (Read 1673 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
falafel
« on: March 09, 2013, 15:42:19 »
i've just tried something I've had on my "To Try" list for ages, falafel.  The first time we ever ate some was years ago on a short break in Paris, when we bought some at a middle-eastern shop, I suppose, and ate them standing on the corner watching the fascinating world go by - a vivid memory, linked to a wonderful taste!
After that I made them occasionally from a packet, and they were quite good.  But not made them for ages, and I came across a recipe I'd noted down - it is so easy. 
Makes about 45. Soak 2oz cracked wheat (bulgar) in  3 fl oz water.  Either drain 14oz can chickpeas, or soak about 230gm dried ones overnight.  Cook them the next day (I did it in pressure cooker, drain them). Mash them with potato masher. Add 2oz breadcrumbs, 3 cloves garlic.  Spices (which I added to soaking cracked wheat): 1 tsp chilli, or less, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin.  Blend altogether with juice 1 lemon, plus salt and pepper (generous amount!). Form into little balls, place close together on oiled baking tray.  Brush with oil, and bake 200º for 10 mins.  brush again, and turn if wished, bake for a further 10-15 mins. 
Haven't tried one yet, but they smell delicious.  I'm going to freeze most of them.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: falafel
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 16:32:51 »
They look really nice!  I'm going to try that recipe, because I must admit that my home-made falafel attempts have been failures.  They always fall to pieces.  I can produce a decent result from the packet mixes, but they don't taste like the real thing.

The recipes that I've used have all included onion, which yours doesn't.  I've tried wheat flour as a binder, but never bulgur. And I've always fried my falafels, never baked them.  What I think must happen is that a crust forms in the hot oil, then the steam from the onion bursts the falafel and I'm looking at a mess of fried fragments.  :sad10:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: falafel
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 16:36:14 »
Well you did better than me Melbourne 12.  Can't remember if recipe included onion but for some reason I thought it said deep fat fry.  You should have seen the mess.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal