Author Topic: Dreaded lurgy  (Read 5268 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Dreaded lurgy
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 20:12:32 »
I had chest infection after Xmas, and suffered for two weeks in bed, had to call out emergency doctor and got told off for not going to doctor sooner, as thought I would get better.  Antibiotics given that night and within two days I was much better.  Should have gone to the doctor much sooner, but didn't like to bother them.  Went back to doctor for check up and chest was OK and had the flu jab in one arm and another in the another arm for something else (memory gone) but only have to have that once.  So much for saying I don't believe in the flu jab, but I have never been that ill before, even went off wine and food and water.  After speaking on the phone to the help line, they nearly took me to hospital by ambulance but I felt too ill to care, but when the doctor came she was brill, and said I wasn't going to die.  Just got home from a walk in the sleet, so am feeling much better now, but it was horrible, whatever it was, and I was dehydrated, and was sick and couldn't even drink water, had a temperature and a rattle, was told it was a chest infection or whatever.  I do sympathise with you, but much as I hate going to the doctor wish I had gone earlier and got the antibiotics sooner as this just didn't go away.  Whatever it was I had, it was horrible and I wouldn't wish that one anyone, get well soon ACE and go to the doctor.

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 10:03:11 »
Hi Borlotti, the second jab you had (the one-off one) was prolly the anti-pneumonia one.

Agree on the 3-week(ish) length of The Dreaded Lurgy. I couldn't believe that a 'mere' cold could last so long with none of the symptoms abating.

All the best to sufferers,

L x

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 10:53:54 »
Yes thanks it was the anti-pneumonia one.  Must say the doctor that came out and the doctor I saw after at the surgery were brilliant and so kind.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 13:26:41 »
Well you could not make it up!  There I was watching the news and a coughing spate started, it went on and on and I could not even get my breath. I did manage to get a garbled message to the missus who had gone out to shop for a few essentials. She came storming in the door shouting about the strong smell of gas everywhere, While I was blue in the face trying to catch a breath. I could not smell gas because of the cold, but somehow the grill was on without a flame.

Down the emergency clinic they stuck me on breathing machines, heart monitors, blood pressure machines, a rusty razor to shave my chest for those little sticky things. I did not know if I had been bored, drilled or centre punched.

Got my puff back in the end,  but kinell! good job I am right off my pipe at the moment otherwise it might have been quite a big bang if I had lit up.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 14:01:39 »
Is this one of your funny stories, if not, all I can say is thank heavens your wife came home.  Who turned the gas on????

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 14:51:41 »
  Who turned the gas on????

Well it was not me and the other half is blaming the dog who is such a thief, he might have knocked it with his paws while he was nosing around the kitchen for something to steal. That's her story anyway.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 11:59:14 »
Ace: no jest, really have had it for three weeks! I am hoping its on the tail end now, just need to get rid of the cough and sore throat, never had anything for such a long time

Oh Joy!!!

Ace glad your still with us :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:32 »
I had it too and it lasted three weeks. Only just got my sense of smell back!!! really horrible!! Ohhh and the mucus was so bad thought I was going to choke!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 15:03:39 »
Well the lurgy came and went, but I have lost my voice. The chest infection really hurt, every muscle in my stomach ached like mad everytime I had a coughing fit. It will be very interesting at the pub tonight where I run a folk club once a month. No singing tonight unless I can learn a few gritty blues numbers. Good job I have the squeeze box  to rattle out a few tunes instead. Of all the remedies, medicines etc I found that the Sainsbury own brand type of lemsip gave the most relief.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 18:57:10 »
You seem to smash the old man flu every year ace, if I didn't know better I'd have thought your turning into a bit of a wimp, and remember that everytime you put down the yeti,  remember that she saved your life.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal