Author Topic: USB External hard drives  (Read 2923 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
USB External hard drives
« on: February 20, 2013, 20:51:55 »
Anyone got any recommendations for one of these? I already have a Seagate 1TB one, but I wondered if there was anything better. The problem with mine is that it has no On/Off switch so it is worked by plugging it in and removing the plug when I have finished Backing up etc. I would prefer a switch off before unplugging.
TIA.
Gardening is the great leveller.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: USB External hard drives
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 23:19:25 »
get a click free

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:37 »
Actually what you should do is to "stop" the device in Windows before unplugging it from your PC- there should be an icon in the systray - no real need to power off if you do that. 
Most usb drives do not have a switch because you don't really need one.  If you switch it off in the middle of a read/write it is the same as unplugging it (at least in terms of data loss) - just as dangerous.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:36:49 »
Fair enough, but which new one should I be looking for?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:01:57 »
I've been thinking of having new one too. I have seagate too and ever since I bought it,it has been driving me mad.. :BangHead:
It is constantly sending me messages of updates...and wanting me to trial of updated versions..and once the versions trial period is gone it wants you to upgrade it with cost..and when you just want to run is with its basic version (what I originally bought it for) it seem to 'work' just fine when left to its own devices..but clicking to 'button' and telling it to do something and it back answers with different messages..basically not wanting to do it.. :BangHead:
Yes..I've tried to work it from scratch..and tried to 'undo' stuff...but it just won't do as its been told. Its like it has mind of its own  :drunken_smilie: Now it just keeps 'backing stuff' ready for the plugging in and downloading for the unit..but won't download once its plugged.. :BangHead:
So now I want to wipe out the whole seagate thingy from my computer for ever  :angryfire: and start with something different..preferably something very simple and effective..no fancy 'new' options..just plain and simple back up for 'just in case' situations.
I ain't totally numpty with computers but this piece of kit has got better of me.. :BangHead: ...where is my hammer....

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:27 »
Well I have to say that the one I have only needs to be plugged in and up comes the Windows Options thing and away I go to Backup my computer. The External drive does nothing other than that and it has done that very well for the last 2 years or so.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:02:54 »
That's the way mine was supposed to work.. :BangHead:
I just had a nother 'play' with my 'toy' and it won't do as its 'told'...checked the support site and looks like numerous other people have had related problems with the thing too... :BangHead: ..and each case the answer for the 'problems' is same.. :BangHead:
Nope...my toy is had its day..I don't play with toys that are not doing what they are supposed to do.
Its time for a new one...perharps this time I have to dig bit deeper and part with little bit more money.. :BangHead:
But it would be nice to hear what others have/recommend.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal