Author Topic: Biggest tomato competition for 2013 , sign up here!!  (Read 25689 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: Biggest tomato competition for 2013 , sign up here!!
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2013, 14:19:50 »
i brought home a few more large toms today biggest 1074 g thats 2.36lb not big by giant standards but will do me for seed smallest is 1lb.8oz

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 19:30:30 »
Gee sly you sure have some real beauties there... any chance of some seed?

Heres my biggest 673 g ... seed is Omars Lebanese. It started to signs of splitting so I picked it today. 

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 19:38:12 »
gavin i shall be offering some selected seed a little later on when i have saved and dried some   regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2013, 20:53:41 »
Ooooo thank you.. I look forward to that..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2013, 18:26:02 »
Just weighed one if my biggies, ......only 310g ! It looked so much bigger.... :BangHead:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 08:21:54 »
Big for a Coeur de boeuf but not quite up in there with the really big boys..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 23:16:08 »
gavin i shall be offering some selected seed a little later on when i have saved and dried some   regards mal
Hmmm. Maybe that would give me half-a-chance after all Mal.
I should probably swallow my pride and ask to get a fair go...
So if I may put my name down.... :)

Nigel. Next-year's winner. ;)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2013, 08:02:34 »
my largest so far was a yellow Oxheart at 475... and no other real contenders to come.  :BangHead:

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2013, 17:31:54 »
here is another 2lb plus i found today on one of my plants
1118g   2.46lb i think

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2013, 16:55:06 »
That's me done too! - my biggest was an Old Wyandotte from a daisy type flower and weighed in at 1 pound 7 ounces.  Told OH that there would only be one tomato for salad yesterday and he scoffed ' as if there is a shortage at the moment ............', but then he realised what I meant when he saw this one on the scales  :happy7:

Still nowhere near good enough for this year's competition ................   :BangHead:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 18:29:35 »
I think you all did wonderful , well done   and I am dead jealous..isn't that a sin? With one thing and another I didn't grow any at all this year. I bought a few plants as I didn't get the chance to sow any but they were terrible , all manner of ills so I chucked them. But oh boy you lot wait till next year cos I got a spanking new greenhouse and it is at home so I can tend and tend and .........

Seriously it is so much fun to see all your comments and your lovely pictures, and hope to be back in the gang next year.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2013, 19:15:05 »
Haven't harvested my big tomatoes yet (I'll tell you the weight but I'm not competing this year, having  won last year!) but I'm very satisfied with our Cornu des Andes, new for us this year, which have produced really heavy tomatoes that are breaking their tresses of 6 or 8 tomatoes.  Most are weighing in at about 10oz, and they are brilliant for drying.  In the past I've grown san Marzano, the traditional ones for drying, but these seem easier, are very fleshy with little juice, and they've dried really well.  They also taste good too.  Thoroughly recommend them. 

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013, 19:13:47 »
probably my last pics of my toms this season im sure your getting bored of them by now here are five fruit all from the same plant in fact off the same truss all at or about 2lb nice single blooms

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 00:31:56 »
Your haul is pretty fabulous, mal, well done on so many large tomatoes.  What did you feed them?

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2013, 10:09:19 »
here is my biggest tomato this year, slightly smaller than my winner last year.  But I'm NOT competing this year, just showing it here for interest!  Again it is a Délice de Burpée. Although they don't look that big, they are incredibly solid.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 09:11:25 »
They look really attractive.  Bet they taste good too.  And I am also quite taken with the look of the Cornu des Andes.  Similar in shape to Amish Paste, but twice the size at least.  You only need one for a tomato sauce by the looks of it - two at the most?  :icon_cheers:

crisralu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2013, 17:47:40 »
1,285kg big tomato :old stanwell,staines,plot 3a-4a

crisralu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2013, 18:07:06 »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2013, 21:42:45 »
Oh well done, crisralu!

crisralu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2013, 21:56:51 »
thank you very much ,its full organic and was not in the greenhouse! I don't know where I need to post for competition :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal