Author Topic: getting onions going?  (Read 2893 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
getting onions going?
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:40:27 »
I have never had luck with onions from seed but always end up with a free packet of them when I buy other seeds!!
I got some free Ailsa Craig seeds. Not quite sure what to do with them, I have tried them in a planter hung on my window rail (outdoors). I have covered the planter in a plastic bag (unfortunately it has not been very sunny, I was hoping the sun would warm the plastic.)  SO far no sign of anything, they have been in for about 6days. I sowed very close to the surface.

Does this seem like a good method to start them off or should I move the planter indoor until they germinate? Then what do I do? How big should they be before I transplant them to the allotment?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: getting onions going?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:28:58 »
Not sure that others will agree but this is what I do.

I put two or three seeds in a module.  Usually with about 20 modules in each tray.  The modules have been filled with bought composts mixed in with horticultural sand (i usually mix it three parts compost to one of sand).

Cover the seeds with more sand so they are just covered (about one to two mm).  I put water in the tray and then cover the whole lot with a plastic bag (no holes) and seal the bag by loosely tying the end.  I then place the whole lot in a south facing window and leave it for about two weeks.  I check it to see if any have germinated and leave for a bit longer if they haven't.

When you start seeing them come through then take them out of the bag and leave then alone.  When they have grown and the soil is warm plant the whole module out.  You might consider making wire supports to keep the onion stems separated in each module because the "leaves" do like to fall over and grow between each other.  Space the modules about 10cm apart keep them well weeded.

In your case I am uncertain what you have done.  However, i would suggest leaving them for another 10 days but bring them indoors and see if they have germinated.  If they have, prick them out into modules, say two or three to a module, when the "leaves" are still in the "hooked" stage and then plant then out when the soil is warm.

Hope this helps.  Others will make suggestion that will be as good if not better.  If they fail then have another go at the end of February.
Enjoy your gardening.

Bill

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 14:45:50 »
This is how I do mine;

These are Potato Onions setts set up 22/1

These are Onion Setts Turbo set up 26/1

These are Red Brunswick seed sown 23/1 my Santerro sown at the same time are at the same stage.

These are some garlic bulbils I found at the base of last years galic so I sowed them 29/11 to see what comes of them.

These are my Shallots-Golden Gourmet set up 26/1

These are my Sweet Peas sown 23/1 that I will now transfer to Root trainers within the next couple of days.

and finally some Geraniums seed I sowed 23/1

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 17:00:47 »
I grew Ailsa Craig from seed for the first time last year, they took about 10 days to germinate and that was in a heated propagator - then I potted them on singly, nurtured them like babies and ended up with a good crop - I may have coddled them too much but was desperate to get my own onions after a white rot disaster. I'd guess though that you need at least to put them somewhere warmer to start with.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 18:27:37 »
I like the  potato Onions Tee Gee - are the from my stock?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 13:09:12 »

Yes they are Gavin.

I didn't eat any of the bulbs I got from the half dozen you gave me I thought I would save my stock to bulk up for this year.

I now have 44 on the go.

Last year I coddled them a bit as I didn't want to lose them so I grew them in pots which I don't think is the best way to grow them.( I expected more off-setts per plant)

Having said that my Shallots were not brilliant either so it might have had something to do with the seasonal weather we had.

My plan this year because I have more bulbs to play with is to be a bit more experimental, and try them in pots,outdoors and under glass to see how they perform.

Then next year I will grow them in the manner I find is best!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 13:37:38 »
Just to be clearer, I just sowed them in two rows in a rectangular planter which is outside currently. However hanging off my window sill is probably warmer than in a corner of the allotment isn't it?
They are in a mixture of garden soil and sharp sand with a little home made compost under that for goodness. Don't have a greenhouse or cold frame or such. Don't have room to plant in modules like that either.

Should I at least bring them indoors into say the unheated pantry where temps are probably about 15 deg C? If I put them on the kitchen window sill I think my OH will go mental.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 15:49:29 »
Should I at least bring them indoors into say the unheated pantry where temps are probably about 15 deg C?

I would say yes! as they need a minimum temperature of 16°C (60°F) to germinate.

There is a bit more info (with pictures) here which might help;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onion/Onion.htm

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 17:13:04 »

Yes they are Gavin.

I didn't eat any of the bulbs I got from the half dozen you gave me I thought I would save my stock to bulk up for this year.

I now have 44 on the go.

Last year I coddled them a bit as I didn't want to lose them so I grew them in pots which I don't think is the best way to grow them.( I expected more off-setts per plant)

Having said that my Shallots were not brilliant either so it might have had something to do with the seasonal weather we had.

My plan this year because I have more bulbs to play with is to be a bit more experimental, and try them in pots,outdoors and under glass to see how they perform.

Then next year I will grow them in the manner I find is best!

My trials last year started in pots then planted out at the plot found the ones planted in Jan were best then feb/march started off in pots and the ones in march planted direct were all the same. So I think Jan is possibly the best time in pots to start.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal