Author Topic: What seeds are you sowing?  (Read 16966 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
Re: What seeds are you sowing?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 18:44:01 »
Sounds like I am way behind most of you, but yesterday I sowed my early nante carrots in my baths. Everyone says I'm too early but I found that the first sowings at this time do much better than later sowings. Well for me they do.. Sowed some carrots last year on 21 February and they were brilliant. After last years miserable weather it is taking me a while to get back in the mood.This year seems the aches and pains are getting to me as well. Good luck everyone..

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 18:47:56 »
The trial carrot seeds I was sent from DT browns are showing in the poly, sowed Jan 16th in a deep pot under a demijohn cloche. Just sowed primecut and more trial seed in warmed soil under glass and fleece outside :happy7:
Pixie cabbage up, peas up in the guttering and the salads are coming on well  :toothy10:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 18:10:39 »
Sowed my first seeds of 2013 today in my heated propagator in the greenhouse. Chillies, sweet peppers, banana shallots, and a few pots of baby plum tomatoes for the lottie plant sale in May. Exciting times....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 19:23:41 »
 I have sowed tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers so far at home will take to my allotment when warmer not sure how to grow them this year I have always used pots but am thinking of using grow bags I have never used them before so I would be grateful for some advice also if cucumbers could be grown in them      ....     cudsey
Barnsley S Yorks

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 20:02:21 »
today i have sown my sweetpea, pea, tomato an some herb seeds still pulling out what else i need to sow and the beds are covered with card to help warm them up a little as my plastic has all vanished :(

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:42 »
Tomato seeds for cold greenhouse going in today - late but with this weather...  :tongue3:

Broadbeans are in - also late

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for enough good-weather days free to escape to the plot to keep the whole lot productive and tidy.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to take my two very elderly parents down there for the day while I get on with it.  :glasses9:

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 21:10:37 »
Two weeks ago when we had the only two lovely days in March I sowed 4 trays of onion seed and I of shallots. Then a range of tomatoes, chillies, sweet peppers, basil and cape gooseberries.
The hope was by the end of March to have them in my unheated greenhouse!
Then winter returned with a vengeance with 9 inches of snow! Daily turning round my seedlings hoping that they don't get too leggy before the weather improves!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 09:11:15 »
Me too.  Daily turning of seedlings and checking for new ones popping.  Reallly pushed for space indoors now I've had to pot on the toms.  Chillies, Christmas basil and PSB needs potting on.  Sweet peas pinched out already and waiting to go outside.

Summer savoury getting very leggy now and peas and PSB heading that way with hollyhocks and lupins following soon.  I need those to go out in the greenhouse asap so I can sow more stuff.
Obxx - Vendée France

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 14:31:33 »
Seeds up in the poly are cauli, calabrese, sprout and cabbage. Small cabbage potted on and started romanesco, filderkraut cabbage and kalibos cabbage today. Loads of flowers coming up for the plant sale and we're not sure how long it will be until we can have one, usually first bank holiday in may but, this weather's putting us all behind  :happy7:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 15:55:25 »
Tomies are on their 2nd set of leaves
Some of the Celeriac up
Waiting on the peppers and cucs to germinate.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 10:23:34 »
Seed sowing...??

I think this might be the first year that being slow off the mark is probably not a bad thing.

My progress is:
  • found most of the seed packets
  • finished the winter digging
  • set up the heated propagator
  • waiting for tomatoes to burst through the compost
  • leeks up....some of them

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 15:13:26 »
Popped in a few cabbages and kale.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 15:18:06 »
Chives, basil and toms on the kitchen windowsill are finally up now we've had a bit of sun, but no sign of parsley, coriander or peppers yet. Calabrese, leeks and a few broad beans up in the cold greenhouse, but parsnips and sweet peas doing nothing. Itching to sow more but nor sure what!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 15:54:08 »
Toms on kitchen window cill, and peas not too bad, spinach was doing well then gave up.  French beans in outhouse have just rotted, have compost and seeds but am going to wait until next weekend when hopefully the weather will warm up.  Sweet peas from saved seed seem to have given up, so may have to buy some more.  Luckily I have overdosed on the seed buying so have plenty of spares.  I am little miss impatient.  Next time I buy a house, will make sure I have large window cills in every room, or a heated greenhouse, dream on.  Not sure that Dulce (beautiful cat) sleeping on the seed trays in the plastic greenhouse was a good idea, but maybe he warmed the soil up.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 16:15:36 »
When we had a temperature of 10ish degrees a few weeks ago in March (I am not dreaming ) I sowed some cabbage Golden Acre, some Brussels sprouts , some lettuce some leeks and some celeriac in one of those long window sill lidded propagators for Aldi.
All the seeds are now up the Brussels and the cabbage I getting a bit leggy but they are going to have to stay where they are for a week or so as the next home for my seedling is the unheated plastic green house in the garden. and I fear if they go in there whilst the weather is as it is they will be gone.

in the green house are some onion and shallot sets with are now sprouting little green shoots and some runner beans in kitchen roll holders they have germinated but the green part seems slow to show above the soil, I haven't really watered them much as I would hate for them to freeze. not sure if that's what they need?
Nora
Norf London

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 21:45:45 »
heaps of flowers but most of them have been on the go for ages (years even) but as far as veggies go, leeks in greenhouse (freezing though), parsley, hopeful lettuce (outside) tomatoes (I was just so bored) not doing peppers (which is a slight relief this year) mange toute on plot, more sweet peas (I seem to have been obsessed with these - 19 varieties). Spring onions.
Put some black PVC down for potatoes.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 17:59:11 »
Tomatoes - 2 batches, one up and pricked out, the other just done so still waiting
Sweet peppers - sown 2 weeks ago still no show
Broad beans - in modules in greenhouse, sown 2 weeks ago no show
peas - see broad beans
leeks - in a seed tray under glass, just done so just waiting to see
lettuces - 4/5 varieties, same as leeks

Mixed results. Dont get me started on flowers. Lots sown but so far only got few sweet peas (just) to show for it it.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 08:54:23 »
I have sown the last of my maincrop brassicas indoors this week and they are up, I am sowing a few more red cabbage than usual re the potential weather-induced veg shortage, red drumhead stands up to a lot of adverse stuff and has a good tight head so is good wrt slug damage. Nothing fancy this year as it is going to be a toughie but tomatoes and chillis are being nurtured and I am getting them out into a cold greenhouse during the days now. I want them early, like last year, when I got 40kg from 19 plants, I dehydrated a lot. This year only 12 plants and only the hardies that did so well last year

A few more veg to go and that will be 2013 sorted

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 18:19:04 »
Nothing ouside yet but the plan is to get the rotavator out tomorrow then cover two or three strips with poly cloches with a view to direct sowing in a few days.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 18:45:16 »
Just sowing french beans for in the poly, 6 each of dwarf borlotti, purple and green french beans  :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal