Author Topic: Separation between almonds and peaches  (Read 1555 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Separation between almonds and peaches
« on: April 14, 2013, 13:07:22 »
I've got a Robijn almond tree... I also have a oouple of Red Haven peaches.... at the moment they're all in pots, the almond in the the sheltered bit outside the kitchen, the peaches are in the GH.... how far apart do they need to be once they start blossoming to avoid "bitter" (and therefore dangerous cos the bitterness is cyanide) almonds?...

I've got a couple of sheltered spots down the garden beyond the GH earmarked for the peaches, but the almond has a choice of going in the fruit area this side of the GH with the cherries, soft fruit, plums and apricots, or else I take it to the allotment.... a mildly insane option will be to put it in some sort of wheeled (or attachable to wheels) container) and tow it to the allotment when it's in flower, then tow it back to sit on the patio.... the rotavator would easily handle it, but I can imagine the neighbours considering me sectionablle if they see me taking a tree out for a walk....

Opinions sought on gapping, though not welcomed if regarding my sanity...

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
Re: Separation between almonds and peaches
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 21:28:54 »
Hi, from what I can find, there doesn't seem to be evidence that peach pollen has any effect on the resulting almond nut. It may be an idea that came about because the offspring of a peach and an almond would produce bitter nuts as a grown tree. Abstract below:

The effect of pollinizer on sweet or bitter almond flavor was studied by tasting the
seeds obtained from 32 crosses between sweet, bitter, and slightly bitter parents. Out of
eight female parents, two were homozygous sweet (‘Del Cid’ and ‘Aï’); two were heterozy-
gous sweet (‘Marcona’ and ‘Nonpareil’); one heterozygous with an almost undetectable
slightly bitter flavor (‘Ferrastar’); two heterozygous slightly bitter (‘Garrigues’ and
‘Marie Dupuy’); and one bitter homozygous (‘S3067’, self-compatible clone obtained in
CEBAS). Each cultivar was hand-pollinated with four male cultivars: one homozygous
sweet (‘Ramillete’), one heterozygous sweet (‘Atocha’), one heterozygous slightly bitter
(‘Garrigues’), and one homozygous (‘S3067’). Since ‘Garrigues’ is self-incompatible, the
cross ‘Garrigues’ x ‘Garrigues’ was replaced by ‘Garrigues’ x ‘S3065’ (slightly bitter
clone obtained in CEBAS). Tasting of the seeds resulting from each cross resulted in the
complete absence of any influence of pollinizer on flavor, which only depended on the
female parent.

HORTSCIENCE 35(6):1153–1154. 2000.
Cultivar Pollinizer Does Not Affect
Almond Flavor
F. Dicenta1, P. Martínez-Gómez, and E. Ortega
Departamento de Mejora y Patología Vegetal, Centro de Edafología y Biología
Aplicada del Segura, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Apartado
4195, E-30080 Murcia, Spain
H. Duval
Unité de Génétique et d’Amélioration des Fruits et Légumes, Institut National
de la Recherche Agronomique, Site AGROPARC, Domaine Saint Paul, BP91,
F-84914 Avignon, Cedex 9, France

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 21:40:59 by ajb »
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 22:34:47 »
Ah.... Robijn is the offspring of an almond and a peach though.... or so I am led to believe.... All the people who I don't trust usually (big catalogues for instance) say not to plant it near peaches, although they then demonstrate their ignorance by saying it's because it's on a peach rootstock, rather than becasue it is a hybrid... which is why I can't trust their advice,... Oh well I suppose I could try growing them at opposite ends of the garden and if it doesn't work out one of them will have to move.... If I can get some really big pots I'll put the almonds in them to make them portable for a year and hope I get an overlapping flowering this year to check with....

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 16:00:05 »
Oh Chris I much prefer the taking down to the allotment & then bringing them back option. Just the thought of the look on your neighbours faces is priceless :icon_cheers:

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 23:14:32 »
Looking at it they might have such widely differeing growth cycles that I'll just get away with it anyway... the Robijn has been in a sheltered bit outside my back door under a sort of carport structure facing east since, and it's beginning to show leaf and blossom buds are visible. The Red Haven peaches have been in the GH adn it's a lot warmer in there than it outside my back door, and I'm only just able to tell that the things are not dead as the buds are just (just) starting to swell... by all accounts Robijn is always one of the earliest prunus to flower adn might well need hand pollinating , Red Haven is supposed to be late to avoid the frosts (Robijn apparently doesn't care so much)....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal