Author Topic: blue plastic  (Read 3956 times)

brown thumb

• Hectare
blue plastic
« on: February 12, 2013, 18:33:53 »
I  need to replace the cover my my 12x 8 poly tunnel So called in Jewsons thinking about using builders plastic , but the only stuff they had was blue tinted . would that make a difference to growth .

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: blue plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 18:44:30 »
I'd have thought it would cut out too much light, especially if we get another cool and cloudy summer like last year.
Obxx - Vendée France

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 19:08:51 »
When there have been threads about growing indoors under lights, there has been talk about the different growth habits when there are different ratios of red/blue light.

Going by this, then I guess the colour of the light could affect you plants, but how and by how much I have no idea.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 19:09:44 »
Toolstation look it up on the net there is one near you just type in your post code they sell it for £6/20 for 3mtrsx4mtrs or what ever amount you need look under( construction) :coffee2: They sell clear but blue should be OK
m j gravell

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 20:12:49 »
Wouldn't use blue meself brown thumb - light levels are crap enough in this country! Defo go for the clear!

As for toolstation - i use them all the time (im a small business - glazing industry) - and they blind screwfix all the time. (well, for my needs anyway)! Just checked their website and the piccy for 3 x 4m polythene shows to be clear, not blue  - all for the princely sum of £5.71 - Bargain!! :icon_cheers:
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 20:33:55 »
When I was a commercial grower in Southern Europe, I used blue shading to minimise flowering (bolting) in salad crops, and it was quite effective.
I would not recommend it for general use in UK as our light levels are generally pretty low and it will change the physiological growth habits of any day-length sensitive plants. So you could reduce flowering in toms, beans, courgettes, aubergines etc., any any flower crops you planted.
I'd go for UV inhibited clear plastic, more expensive but will last longer, or just clear builders plastic.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:10 »
Success I complained to the local garden centre  ( my son works there by the way ) and was told bring the old cover in and they  would replace it so i have a new cover   :toothy10: previously i was told too get in touch with gardman direct who has`nt returned any of my E Mails

S. Tate

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:10:54 »
I'd have thought it would cut out too much light, especially if we get another cool and cloudy summer like last year.

But why it would have to cut the lights out.  :glasses9: know this is just trying to be smart. he.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 14:10:33 »
If twhatever you use isn't UV stabilised it's a waste of time - the whole tedious job will need to be re-done in  a year probably - 2 max.

Builders plastic varies hugely in UV tolerance - basically if they might need to chuck it in a skip after 1 or 2 jobs then there's no point UV stabilising it.

There are special tarps etc. but this is another case where you don't get what you don't pay for (the usual saying is b*ll*x - obviously shops are very happy to charge the earth for rubbish).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal