Author Topic: Grapes  (Read 1337 times)

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
Grapes
« on: February 19, 2013, 17:43:22 »
I am thinking about trying grapes in my greenhouse alongside the tomatoes instead of the usual cucumber - is this ok to do , i have never grown grapes before and would like some advice --thank you

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Grapes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 18:25:12 »
Grapes will do fine in same 'room' as tomatoes but it will be couple of years (minimum) after planting a  grapevine that you can start to expect some fruit. Grapevine will need some attention and care and little bit of knowledge how to prune it, but other than that they are quite easy. If you look a variety that is suitable for 'indoor' growing as even a cold greenhouse will be that little bit warmer in autumn (fruit ripening time) than what the temperatures would be outside.
So start looking a variety you would like to grow and what purpose you want the fruit for.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 18:52:55 »
I bought 2 grape vines to put inside my greenhouse last spring,i got them from victoriana nursery,they are Black Hamburgh and Triumph D`Alsace,they didn't fruit in the 1st year (i never expected them to) although they put on quite a lot of growth,the stems look a bit thin to me,I'm hoping that they fill out this year,i had a vine in a greenhouse before i moved house and it was very fruitful,have a look at the many varieties then give it a go
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 19:15:17 »
I grow them in my greenhouse, but to get best use of your greenhouse, take care where you place them. I placed my vines away from the sun, at the back thus allowing the tomatoes to get all the sun. Grew the grapes up to the roof, and then trained on wires along the length of the greenhouse. This allows the bunches of grapes to hang down and not get tangled up in my hair.
For futher hints, see this page :-http://www.growyourown.info/page74.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal