Author Topic: Any tips for PSB?  (Read 2882 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Any tips for PSB?
« on: May 28, 2015, 22:39:51 »
I really enjoyed eating my first PSB this year but didn't get very much of it for the effort and the size of the plants. I netted them at first but they grew so tall I had to remove the netting, then just as I realised there were bits ready to harvest, the birds shredded the leaves and then before I knew it the plants were going to seed. I'm wondering whether it's worth growing again, given it stays in the ground so long. Any tips welcome!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Re: Any tips for PSB?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:31 »
I'd put in a few different varieties so your harvest is staggered. And put up tall netting. :)

The leaves are delicious too.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:24:09 »
Caroline,
You have concisely reviewed the pros & cons of this crop. Only you can decide whether its a priority in your plot. Are you able to source quality and fresh supplies locally?Did you enjoy your produce, would you grow more, possibly in stead of something else? Economics in motion ! Personnaly, I prefer the home grown ,free of pesticides, air miles and the sheer satisfaction of seeing  Spring arrive. Plant more, further apart (?) to achieve larger plants and keep picking it, when producing to gain maximum production.Good luck.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:25:59 »
To get best out of PSP you will need to keep cropping it thoroughly and regularly. It needs good feed at the beginning of the year so it has energy to put on load and loads of new growth....and ensure it doesn't go short with water so your spears are as lush as possible.
But even then, each cropping they do get thinner and smaller.
There is different varieties that are cropping slightly different times....and they really do so. You can get early croppers, 'normal' and late sprouting..that will stretch your cropping time several weeks :icon_cheers: And when you sprouting broccoli comes to an end...with early sowing of 'calabrese' broccoli (that usual BIG floret type that you see in shops) you will only have few weeks break between..stagger sowing of that type and you'll be sorted for most of summer :drunken_smilie:
Any 'gaps' you can fill eating sprouting cauli, Brussels, kale...etc. :icon_cheers:
How much do you like eating broccoli...? :drunken_smilie:

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 09:52:58 »
Agree with Goodlife. I always plant early and late sprouting varieties and pick any heads that are about to go over even if we can't eat them all.  Often munch them raw while I am doing this.  White sprouting ( White Eye this year) seems to come on later down here and fills in the gap. 

I have to use veg cages anyway or I wouldn't get anything in the way of brassicas at all so I always group stuff so I can leave one to cover the winter crop and move the other to the next  years location. They were not a cheap option but we have had them for ten years and they have earned their keep.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:53:24 »
Thanks for the replies. I must admit they didn't get much attention last year so I'll try to pamper this year's crop a bit more!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:32:41 »
I counted out my brassicas this year and hit the realism button. Only me now so have got real and planted out just one psb. No point in more as they come and go so quickly. I see neighbours with psb just turning into yellow neglected flowers, curbing my enthusiasm was the best thing to do. one psb, one sprout, one borecole. So easy to grow these from seed and easy to plant out but taking up so much space on a small plot. Cabbage collars, under small cages for now and later I will put the net over the tall cages, in the meantime I can get to it all for weeding. Spares are still good at home, just in case but all looks  very healthy on the plot

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:50:28 »
I had six plants this year and due to unexpected family issues they went over. I did get three or so harvests from each plant and it was delicious, but the stems were a bit thin, presumably because I sowed so late.

They are now a mass of flowers and I'm very happy about that because the bees absolutely love it, and I like to be kind to bees. I need the space to plant out onions and leeks, but I can wait a bit longer!

It's a shame to waste PSB but at least you can use it to attract beneficial insects.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal