Author Topic: coir  (Read 1425 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
coir
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:33 »
I have purchased 2 blocks to start my seeds off, but apart from adding vermiculite do I need multi purpose and any fertiliser?
Thanks

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: coir
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:32:16 »
Coir basically has no nutrients unless you buy the stuff that has iot pre-added so I would treat it as a totally inert medium and add nutrients as required.  If you are starting seeds in it then keep the nutes to a minimum using a very dilute mix and increase as they get grow..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 13:35:31 »
Thanks BarrieDaleNick
I will mix with vermiculite and water with very low dose feed
  :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 13:39:13 »
I find coir bit difficult medium..its either too wet or if allowed to dry..its difficult to moisten up again...and its kind of 'fluffy' stuff that doesn't give good contact to seeds. If/when I use coir I add some sand to help with drainage, to give it bit more 'weight (for better contant) and help with drainage issues..and some fertilizer by using either BFB meal, John Innes Base fertilizer or failing that I don't have either one mentioned handy...little addition multipurpose compost that already have all the basic 'things' in, little compost would provide enough to get seeds started. When using coir with small plants..you will need touch of lime for the mixture too or the plants will struggle to take up any nutrients that you've provided.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal