Author Topic: Total novice (not even got a plot yet!)  (Read 7180 times)

MaidstoneMark

• Not So New ...
  • Mark - newbie lottie-lover in Maidstone
Re: Total novice (not even got a plot yet!)
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2005, 21:11:42 »
Hi Victoria, btw, & WELCOME!  Glad to see Im not the only novice on here  ;)
Plant & it will grow! (Apparently)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2005, 23:39:47 »
Great news Mark!  And wow did you work hard for your first visit!!  We told you how friendly us allotmenteers are, but I would just give you one little teeny weeny warning....other lottie holders will probably offer you alsorts of seedlings and plantlets to get you going, just be careful what you plant.  You do not want to inadvertantly plant club root infected brassicas or white rot riddled leeks on your plots - get those diseases and you will have them for years and years and years!  But seeds, whahay!!  Congratulations Mark!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2005, 16:15:40 »
A big congratulatory virtual hug!
Man oh man, I'm so happy for you.
Now you'll just have to borrow a digital camera. With so many people rooting for you it's time to show and tell hehehe.
You can now call yourself an allotmenteer.
All the best of luck.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2005, 16:22:43 »
Well done you  :D

the soil is really very clay-ey (is that a real word???!)

Of course it's a real word ;D Well I've used it before anyway  ;D

I have clay soil too, and the remedy is lots of organic matter, and apparently then you're laughing, as the clay particles hold on to the nutrients better than most other soil types. So get yourself some poo or compost, or get some green manure going  :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 16:25:36 by Moggle »
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2005, 17:17:31 »
Glad to hear about your new lotty complete with compost bin, tools and frogs  ;D   What an encouraging start  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2005, 01:01:12 »
Mark its great to hear you've got off to a great start. I too started work on my new allotment on Weds. I have now become an expert on panel stripping for fences. Spent the rest of the day digging out what will become my raised beds but will have to work quick as ive already sown enough seeds to fill the beds in seed trays in my back garden. Keep up the good work.

:)

MaidstoneMark

• Not So New ...
  • Mark - newbie lottie-lover in Maidstone
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2005, 13:51:58 »
Dear all,

I suddenly realised that I've been so busy with work and dig-dig-digging that I'd not given anyone an update on how things are going....

Well, I've dug till my hands bleed (owww) and things are getting slowly touched into shape - now have five beds all double dug & edged and looking really smart - hardly any weeds making a re-appearence either.  Have put up a fruit cage (rather shaky bamboo poles and netting - we will see if it lasts!) and have ten strawberry plants which are ROMPING away, four grape vines (which are doing absolutely nothing - think I may have watered them to death - oops!) as well as a row of red onions, a set of main crop spuds, some rainbow chard and some raddishes all in and just begining to show.  Haven't got my earlies in yet 'cos they have been chitting so slowly - but will chuck them in the ground next week and hope for the best....

Best of all, my shed arrives in a fortnight!  How excited am I???!!  I can't wait; all my work colleagues think Im completely insanse 'cos I practically wet myself at the mention of the word!  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, things are going well, although I have to say my planting patterns are a little bit wild; I seem to be putting things in as and when the ground gets cleared in order to have something to watch grow whilst I tend to the rest of the site;  and there's still so much digging to do!  Still, Im sure I'll be more organised in the future; just right now I want to get things going and the soil weed free.

Hope everyone else is getting busy in the spring!!!

Mark xxxx
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 13:53:57 by MaidstoneMark »
Plant & it will grow! (Apparently)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2005, 14:14:49 »
thanks for the update, mark

make sure you keep a record of what you planted, when and where ;D
a diary, like
this will also help you with your rotation for next year.
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2005, 19:24:14 »
You are already talking like a real allotmenteer hahaha.
I can't believe how quickly you are moving ahead.
I have the sneaky suspicion you may just have started a hobby (or is it life style?) that will stay with you for the rest of your life.
Ah, I wish I could see pictures of your lottie.
Did you have any help or did you do it all on your own?
Those same colleagues that are now thinking that you are insane will gladly accept your surplus courgettes (you are going to grow them aren't you?) or whatevers. Don't forget to tell them it was organically grown, if that's what you do, it increases the value of the gifts hahaha.
Keep it up Mark and show the world how 'insane' you are, on this board you are part of the 'sane' people.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2005, 22:23:53 »
Speaking of courgettes Ina.  My husband bought one from the Co-op yesterday and it was 70p  :o :o :o

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2005, 17:03:07 »
That's good but why don't you sow them yourself and have the joy of seeing pop out of the soil? They are so easy.
Don't put it outside yet Wardy, too cold, I wait till the middle of may (or the beginning with protection).

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2005, 22:53:53 »
Ina I do grow my own but don't have any ready yet as it's too early.  I needed one for a veggie chilli I was making and my OH was at my niece's house so I phoned and asked him if she had one.  She said she did but my OH forgot to bring it back with him.  Doh!  So he had to buy one.  Incentive enough for everyone to grow their own methinks.  I grow the usual ones but as well as that I grow the little custard yellow ones and pick em small.  Steamed or fried they are fab  ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2005, 23:02:28 »
Oops Wardy, I misunderstood your posting. I thought you bought a courgette plant but now I see you meant a courgette. Hahahahaha, sorry.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal