Author Topic: black boucle wool?  (Read 2959 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
black boucle wool?
« on: January 20, 2013, 21:08:45 »
Does any knitter out there have a ball or so of Black Boucle wool?  Want it to make hair for rag doll.  Tried Ebay and thought I had some but auction up the evening I returned from eye surgery and was a bit slow in confirming bid.  Did decide to use ordinary knitting wool but luckily before I sewed it on Oh wanted to know why the doll had green hair (it was dark green wool and looked black to me).  If anyone has any let me know what you would like for a swap.  Thanks

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: black boucle wool?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:51:08 »
Sorry..I've only got some blue...suppose that is not any help?  :glasses9:
Ebay has got some black..here.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIRDAR-Persia-Chunky-x-50-gms-Lots-of-Colours-/150838761245?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&var=&hash=item231eb0d71d

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:30:55 »
If it is wool fibre, you could always dye the blue black if no other option.
 :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 22:56:02 »
Did you find your wool?

We have some huge thrift stores here(charity stores) and they always have tons of wool for really  just pennies, I can take a look for you.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:39:58 »
Thank you Jeannine for you kind offer.  I decided to settle for double knit as I want to get this project finished otherwise it will join the rest of the unfinished stuff.  Want to start new project asap,.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 09:46:02 »
Have you finished it yet? I just had a thought...I've got some washed and unwashed black Hebridian wool...you are welcome for some of that if you want really 'wild' looking hair for your doll  :toothy10:
And for being so nosy..I have to ask..what's the next project?
I'm just finishing spinning yarn for some socks..once those are knitted I'm starting BIG job, spinning a wool for my 'fisherman's' jumper. :toothy10: That is going to be for next winter as gardening season will bring that 'job' for halt soon.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 13:00:17 »
Thank you Goodlife for your kind offer.   Now that my eyes have been improved I can see what I am looking at in the shops and just bought some black wool with bobbles in it.  Sadly my next project isn't as interesting as yours.  I want to start the mystery quilt and make a kimono top for my daughter's sister in law's expected happy event.  By the way, where do you get your fleece from?  Did consider spinning at one time but went to learn salsa dancing instead (needless to say I was useless at that too) but it's fun trying to learn something new.  By the way, do you make your socks on four needles or those circular ones that I have never been able to get to grips with?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 17:05:13 »
I get fleeces from friend and friend of the friends etc. Quite number of sheep 'keepers' around here and I buy carded wool from several different companies in net..even from Ebay. Not many people seem to bother with actual fleeces..they are lot of work when you have to sort the mucky bits out and do further sorting and washing before the wool is useable.  Much easier to pay little extra and get crafting with ready carded wool. 
Here is couple of woolly places for a taster... http://www.worldofwool.co.uk/index.phphttp://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/http://www.scottishfibres.co.uk/index.html
,,,but there is loads of more out there.
Yes..I make my socks on four or five needles..circular needles are too big for the job, and I find them clumsy anyway..there is some round sock knitting 'rings/looms' but I've never tried them.
Salsa.. :icon_cheers:...what a fun and not bad hobby at all instead of getting all woolly. I've been there too and now settle for something more relaxing. Kimono top sounds nice..do post some pics when its done..Please.. :toothy10:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 19:26:58 »
Isn't the internet brilliant for sourcing information?  It was so difficult before unless you could knew someone who knew where to look.  Do you make three socks per set ie one pair plus 1 extra to replace the one that always gets lost in the wash.  Woolworths used to sell packs of three nylon stockings - pre tights era - so if you laddered one you still had a decent pair.  Skirts and stockings were de rigeur for work in those days and you were definitely under dressed without that tight elastic roll on.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 20:50:34 »
Yes..I don't know how I would manage without internet anymore.
3 socks!...well..knitting 'just' 2 is quite enough without making a 3rd one. When you do have to hand wash your hand made woollies...they don't get lost  :icon_cheers:
Buying them in threes is little before my time and haven't come across that in shops...good idea though.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 21:01:37 »
Ah so you are a youngster then :)  You didn't have to wear the obligatory roll on to keep your tummy in and your stockings up.  By the way got the hair on the doll and taking her to the hairdresser to have a trim tomorrow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal