Author Topic: Allotment Wars  (Read 27694 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Allotment Wars
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 16:03:48 »
Definitely a " made for TV"  programme and it is a legitimate point of view.

But not a fair representation of allotments in my opinion.

I have been on our allotments for nearly thirty years, and in that time I have had four Secretaries, three of these were / have been very good the other created a rod for his own back by taking  / making all the decisions without having a word with other plot holders first.

So how much of this type of was not publicised?

I think there was a bit of " power play" in action in this programme, and the "committee" members were playing to or against the cameras.

I think if I was a committee member and someone registered a complaint to me with a BBC camera taking pictures behind him I too wouldn't like it

The thing that struck me was it was a good bit of editing as I am quite sure that most of the " background" is lying on the cutting room floor.

Regarding the " nobbling" that was going on on the plots ....that is nothing new!

I know I have been there!

Nothing new there then!

Not a programme I will be following in the future

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 16:25:04 »
Is it a series then?

I wish that it would show the more positive side about having a lottie but then i guess it wouldnt be call Allotment wars then :S The bit that made me chuckle was the group trying to catch the shed theifs as if they would try with that racket going on hehe

Its a sad but true fact that things go walking on some lottie sites last year someone helped themselves to my only decent row of carrots  :BangHead:

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 16:49:01 »
I don't think it showed true allotment life very poor show,
I am new to allotment's about 4 or 5 years i think, i never had or heard of bulling where i am or on any of the other sites in my area!!
 But don't get me wrong yes there have been breakins and yes i have had crops go missing but on the all people are very helpfull and friendly at my site there are a few that keep themselves to themselves but they still say hello just not as chatty as me :tongue3:

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 17:49:19 »
There have been quite a few programmes that idealise, indeed over-romanticise allotments.

My take on this programme was that it redressed the balance a bit ... no more than that. As pointed out previously we do not know the full story with respect to any of these tales. What should come out of the programme is simply that these sort of things do go on. And while experienced plot holders will just say "but we know all that" there are many inexperienced plot holders or would-be plot holders who do not.

All life is here ... to misquote one of the plot holders in the programme. Indeed it is. There are good councils / councillors and there are some bad ones ... there are lots of good secretaries / site reps / committee members etc around and some bad ... and the vast majority of plot holders are very friendly and generally act in an exemplary manner, but some can be very anti-social if not criminal.

Actually, I did not find the programme as negative as I thought it might be. For example, there are darker tales than simple nobbling which could be told.

The programme was not meant to be a fair representation. If you want a fair representation just remember that it would have to include the plus points AND the minus points of our leisure activity.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 19:31:15 »
With you on that BAK.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 20:24:42 »
There was not a lot on last night granddaughter finally give in about 9/30 after Peperpig, and the Hive, O/H was doing the ironing thought lets have a look, can not say allotments are like that as our local one ,and I have known most of the lads and we are all 60 plus since school days. But when it comes to the local Rugby Club  :BangHead: garden show its all out war for the four week build up to it.  They don,t talk, have a drink together, the slightest thing is not going right and it is so and so,s fault. Then an hour after com petion they are all hand in hand with there O/H ,Children, Grandchildren, in the beer garden laughing at them self's, saying well done to everyone. Funny breed us Gardeners :happy7:R
m j gravell

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 20:55:59 »
Just in the middle of watching it, don't like the narrator's voice, though. I hope our committee never gets like that. Poor lad, what a situation to be in  :disgust:

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 22:33:55 »
Reading the posts on  here over the years re problems on Allotments tells its own story x

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 22:52:57 »
This is the reality of most Allotments.......a lot of trouble is caused by groups of people who are committee members who think they rule the world.Glad to see it exposed to the nation :tongue3:
Oi! That's me you're talking about!! Unpaid servant more like!!

Exactly Anne.........I rest my case

She can't get me.....she is in Scotland tee hee :angel11:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 07:19:21 »
Reading the posts on  here over the years re problems on Allotments tells its own story x

But aren't people more likely to write about negative things?  How many would think
of telling everyone about the good things which happen on allotments?  We read about
the bad things committees do, but what about the positive ones - surely all committees
aren't bad.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 08:09:15 »
This is the reality of most Allotments.......a lot of trouble is caused by groups of people who are committee members who think they rule the world.Glad to see it exposed to the nation :tongue3:
Oi! That's me you're talking about!! Unpaid servant more like!!

Exactly Anne.........I rest my case

She can't get me.....she is in Scotland tee hee :angel11:

Oh really? A mere 5 hour drive!! :tongue3: :wave: I've just filled the tank up too .......mmmmm .......maybe not today!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 08:14:24 »

But aren't people more likely to write about negative things?  How many would think
of telling everyone about the good things which happen on allotments?  We read about
the bad things committees do, but what about the positive ones - surely all committees
aren't bad.
I think you're absolutely right. Very often people tend to come to the forum with questions and problems. On our allotments too, people will pick up on the one thing the committee (or a member of the committee) does that they don't like and ignore the ongoing work that gets done behind the scenes.

Not true of most of the members who are great and go out of their way to say thanks, but true of a very vocal minority.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 08:24:56 »

aren't bad.

In our allotment days we have not come across such vindictiveness.  Management was mostly absent.  There were no facilities either. 

This is why Squash's site is so different.  And the difference is all to do with the management team and volunteers working very hard to make it a pretty special place.  Always working for the members, not making things difficult or being self-absorbed with their way of growing. 

Visiting Wallsall Road allotments is highly recommended.   

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:25 »

This is why Squash's site is so different.  And the difference is all to do with the management team and volunteers working very hard to make it a pretty special place.  Always working for the members, not making things difficult or being self-absorbed with their way of growing. 

Visiting Wallsall Road allotments is highly recommended.   

That's really kind of you Galina, thank you. (I would have put a 'blushing' icon but couldn't see one)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 20:26:02 »
It happens; I've been on the receiving end myself. There are also a lot of hardworking committee members who really try to look after the people on their sites.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:25 »
My twopenceworth...unless you have served as an allotment committee member you honestly have no idea what it is like. Some of the letters we used to get from plotholders ranged from threats to individually sue us from an aggrieved potential evictee, to someone asking if the committee can 'do something' about all the wildlife on the site as it ate his crops! You put in a lot of hours but will still get moans from plotholders that you haven't done something about whatever issue is close to their heart. Whatever strategy you employ to try and keep a minimum standard of cultivation, some will argue it is too draconian, others will say you are too soft. Betty is really lucky to have a site where so many people volunteer their time for site upkeep, that is a rare and wonderful thing. I have nothing but admiration for those folk who choose to grasp the nettle and join a committee, boy is it a challenge!

I also watched the programme last night, and like others felt a bit more back story would have been helpful in regard to the pumpkin bloke, but perhaps that would not have made it interesting enough a programme..?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:51 »
I feel volunteer work is a pain, go in with the best intentions and people do moan and moan, and they are the ones that don't do anything.  I never got any trouble when I was in a paid job (but have got fed up with volunteer work) so I just say hats off to volunteers. It just annoys me that people give their time and effort for free and it seems some people never think it is good enough, let them do it I say. Our allotment Sec. gets stick, the free Council compost is delivered in the wrong place (some people say), as it is not fair that some people have to walk further, also if it delivered in the week the workers complain, so it is limited to 6 wheelbarrows but some people are just greedy.  I always thank him for arranging any free deliveries, ie woodchip, manure, compost etc. but think he gets a bit fed up with the moans.  That is my moan over for today.  The Council runs our allotment site, so at least we know what we have to pay, and evictions take a time and are done fairly, not like that ridiculous episode in the TV programme where he was locked in and no-one spoke to him, more in that then was filmed I believe.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 12:42:33 »
How depressing. 

There was something in the voice of the commentator which made me feel that it was supposed to be funny but then there was nothing much to laugh about.   

It all felt a bit contrived to me.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:18 »
I have to agree with a lot of what Borlotti and DebP have said. For me it was the worst thing I ever did getting involved with the committee.  I spent hrs and hrs not only on admin. but physical hard work on site - people would stand and watch me pushing barrow loads of hard core/gravel to improve the drive telling me 'it was about time that was done' then when I decided I was fed up with all the moans and growns, enough was enough and resigned I had expensive apple trees stolen, followed by a blueberry bush killed off and fruit harvest stolen then because I complained and reported the theft to the police I was practically 'sent to coventry' another site rep on a different site in our area resigned for similar reasons - it really is heart wrenching.

Yes most people on our site are good honest hardworking people but there is obviously at least one person who is not.

I too envy the communal spirit on Betty's site - WONDERFUL!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 20:55:43 »
Well we enjoyed it, there are some right Hitler committees out there, then there's Bettys site, but the thing is it was allotment WARS, showing people at war in something that is ment to be simple gardening but if it showed hippys skipping round the site skipping and singing picking daffs its not going to be very good veiwing. I did think the two Sisters were overdressed for allotmenting and there nails were perfect.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal