Author Topic: New school  (Read 7762 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
New school
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:26 »
My allotment won't be affected but some people will lose theirs, some for the new school building and some for a car park.  The Council will have to offer the people new sites, but not too good if you have spent a lot of work getting the allotment into a good state.  The new school building needs to be extended and that will only affect a few allotments, but not too happy about the car park.  Meetings are still going on so will have to see what happens.  Plans are to knock down a house (owned by the Council) and hopefully they will have to cut the trees down to make the garden into allotments and I may get more light at the end of my allotment.  Can see a few people upset over this but it just goes to show that one only rents the allotment and does it own it.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: New school
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:32:41 »
Well the list is up of the people that will lose their allotments, but they have this year to plant before the building starts. Won't give them much enthusiasm if they know they are going to lose it next year.  Some have not been cultivated and are overgrown but one man has spent much time and effort on his so he will be very disappointed.  Mine will be OK, but with all the increased traffic and school children in the future we may get more produce damaged or stolen.  Will see what happens, may be time to think about giving up, as don't seem to have the energy too much this year. My little hidden paradise will be no longer. Good news compost coming on Thursday, but as we had not had any for ages it will not last long.

Kea

• Hectare
Re: New school
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:36:54 »
Yes I don't think non allotment holders understand that you can't just swap one for another because of years cultivating and adding compost can never make a straight swap because of the added value you've given your plot.
If you're next to the carpark and school building won't the children be well away from you and most traffic will be at school start and end times for maybe 30 mins. Perhaps it won't be as bad as you think. There should be a good fence around the school too which should work both ways. Hope you don't give up, Borlotti.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal