Author Topic: Where do you buy your Seed Potatoes  (Read 7884 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Where do you buy your Seed Potatoes
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 23:35:48 »
Seed sets are in at our lottie shop. Bought some today at £2.40 for 3kg. Ended up getting mine, brother-in-laws, mother-in-laws partners, dads and uncles.  Apparently the supplier honoured the agreement on price when the order was submitted last year.  No doubt the hike will hit us next year but for now, smiles all round and they are selling fast.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 06:21:54 »
Bought mine yesterday from my local Nursery. You can buy them per seed potato, sell by the kilo, can't remember how much per kilo. However what I needed cost £4.14 as there was a sale with 20% off. The equivalent through Marshalls including postage and packing would have been around £17. Okay have to factor in fuel to get the couple of miles there but had an enjoyable trip out with TOH with coffee and cake. Filled a very wet morning nicely.  :thumbsup:

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 13:20:06 »
I've been replanting my own, plus a few I always find in the road at harvest time next to farm land, and from our CSA. I've read that eventually potatoes will get viruses and produce less, but for the last four years I've had no problems, and I hope that mixing as many varieties as possible will help. And this year I intend to also grow some from true seed. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried this, and whether it eventually fails catastrophically or just produces less over time?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 16:13:36 »
Managed to get the kestrel on line, we've had to pay top whack this year , we'll have to make sure we get a good harvest to make it worth it. Our potato day is in Skelmersdale on 2nd feb so, we'll go for a look but have all our basics now,phew  :happy7:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 19:18:53 »
You need to watch the yield if you're saving your own; eventually it may drop, which is a sign of virus. The big danger is that you may be perpetuating blight, which overwinters in the tubers.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:29:12 »
Bought some brilliantly cropping  charlottes from poundland a few years ago - I don't personally think the supplier difference is risky.

I've had generally good results from Poundland too over the years, with shallots and seeds as well as spuds.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 15:07:31 »
I bought some Kestrel and Red Duke Of Duke in my local Clockhouse Nursery yesterday along with Onions and Shallots, they had a great selection, I thought with the poor crops last year there wouldn't be much in and the Kestrel were only £3.35 for 3 kg thats only 5 pence dearer than last year, can't be bad can it. :icon_cheers: :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 18:06:17 »
We are selling seed potatoes in our Stores at £1 per kilo.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 19:26:38 »
Our shed has stopped selling seed spuds - to be honest they never came till very late any way.  Do you sell to other allotmenteers?  If so what varieties do you have?  May

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 20:30:44 »
Well after getting them from various commercial suppliers over the years from standard seed companies to producers in Scotland and Potato Days at Ryton I usually now end up getting them from a good local garden centre that sells them by the bucket rather than weight. That way I don't end up with more spuds than I need and can pick the ones I like.
By the way, whilst the local allotment society may charge £5 per year, they usually end up cheaper than the seed companies or garden centre spuds as they buy in bulk. Also they are varieties that should do well your in local conditions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal