Author Topic: elephant garlic bulbils  (Read 1718 times)

philistine

• Not So New ...
elephant garlic bulbils
« on: January 07, 2013, 17:24:00 »
Grew some elephant garlic last which produced quite a few bulbils which I removed and saved
In order to increase my stock has any one had any success in growing from these
and getting them to germinate I've been trying for over a month with some and so far
nothing

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: elephant garlic bulbils
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 17:28:15 »
Grew some elephant garlic last which produced quite a few bulbils which I removed and saved
In order to increase my stock has any one had any success in growing from these
and getting them to germinate I've been trying for over a month with some and so far
nothing

Do you mean the little bulblets that hang off the elephant garlic cloves?  They are in yellow/brownish very hard casings with a sharp point?

Yes they do germinate eventually, but usually it takes a long time for the cases to rot away. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 17:30:21 by galina »

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 19:22:13 »
Mine are just starting to show in the greenhouse.  However when I found that they formed a hard shell, I peeled them and bunged them into pots of damp compost to over summer, then transferred them to trays in the autumn.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 22:23:44 »
Mine are just starting to show in the greenhouse.  However when I found that they formed a hard shell, I peeled them and bunged them into pots of damp compost to over summer, then transferred them to trays in the autumn.

I did the same - peeled and plonked in seed compost... a month or so now without any showing yet.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 16:33:46 »
They take a very long time. It's probably best not to let them dry out when you collect them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal