Author Topic: Autumn-sown Broad Beans  (Read 1749 times)

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
Autumn-sown Broad Beans
« on: January 02, 2013, 19:08:03 »
Hello everyone,

I've got a batch of November-sown Aquadulce Claudia which are about 8" tall already, I guess because it's been so mild, they're going like the clappers.

I'm a bit worried about them putting on so much greenery so early, so my question is: can I pinch them back to 3" like I do to sweet peas, and will I still get a decent crop?

Interestingly, the field beans I'm trying for the first time this year (Wizard, from Real Seeds) are looking just right - 3" of stumpy growth.

Thanks for any advice!
You been goofin' with the bees?

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Autumn-sown Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 20:22:41 »
All I know is  that once the first set of beans have formed pinch out the top with the first 2 leaves to be honest you have had a great start let the season take its course they will slow down the cold weather is here for a while yet so protect as well most of us have been there , and the weather changes and lose them all Happy new year bet your picking before me :happy7:
m j gravell

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:17:15 »
Too much growth can be an issue if you get a really cold snap. Mine got away last year and then blackened and died back after a cold spell.  They did grow on (some of them) so I guess you could pinch them back but the results were not good - not something I have ever considered!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:53:42 »
Must be warmer where you are Pye.  Mine are about three inches tall even under bottle cloches.  Not sure I would prick out the growing points, I am sure that the pigeons, mice, squirrels etc  will do it for you.   I think I would be watching the weather and be ready to throw some fleece over them if the weather turns cold.

I will be interested in the results of your field beans.   I think they would make a good green manure and if you can get a crop off them as well sounds brilliant.

As far as I am concerned autumn beans is a gamble.  Sometimes you win but usually you loose.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 20:03:58 »
Wizard was the only bean which did anything much for me last summer; I got masses of small beans. They were spring-sown, but field beans are supposed to be extra hardy.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 17:05:08 »
I get back from my hols 11th Feb. then I'll have a mega sowing bash.The lot, beans toms, etc etc. Going away has saved me wondering about sowing in Jan this year just for the mice/rats to eat. Expect I shall do just as well and maybe better. :drunken_smilie:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal