Author Topic: Digging over water logged soil  (Read 1849 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Digging over water logged soil
« on: January 09, 2013, 13:56:42 »
Hi Gang,

Well spent 2 hours in the garden today and have a load of stuff i need to send to recycle. But the soil is very wet honestly i could have thrown a pot with some of my clay soil.

I am going to have to dig the soil over its got really compacted and if we get this forecasterd snow that might help break it down the question i have though is would not be the right time to dig in some shredded paper :) i have a load of it and though it might help with the soil structure?

cam

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Digging over water logged soil
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 15:30:37 »
Well in my opinion the best thing is to leave it alone and hope that it will drain before you need it!

A thought is; dig a trench along the edges, throwing the soil on to the centre of the bed.

What this might do is act like a land drain and excess moisture from the main body of the bed to the sides then in spring throw you papers into the trench to soak up any excess moisture that has flowed to the edges, then back fill the trench.

A picture would have been handy so that we can see what you are trying to achieve,

Whats on my mind is; is the ground on a slope?

If it is; then a trench along the lower edge might suffice!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 18:41:41 »
If it's clay, don't try to dig it while it's waterlogged. All you'll do is compact it and store up problems for yourself later. Once it dries out a bit, dig in anything organic; shredded paper will be as good as anything.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 22:43:08 »
The big freeze got to it before i could now under a little snow and the soil ice hard....  :BangHead:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal