Author Topic: Allotment Planner  (Read 15462 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Allotment Planner
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 14:30:48 »
A lot of interesting suggestions,  but for anyone who is competent using a computer I would suggest using a standard spreadsheet.

You can draw, shade, use different fonts, different colour text, add notes and dates, shopping lists, and keep track of spending, create plans, record which areas were mucked and when, etc, etc. The flexibility is huge.  I have been using spreadsheets for my allotment planning for about years now and find it invaluable.

But as this is a fairly standard bit of software on many computers why spend more than you need?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 14:37:26 »
All in my head, then I can chop and change at will. I know what is growing, I know what I have planted. I can stand at the top of the plots and see it all, what do I need a planner for?

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 15:22:10 »
A lot of interesting suggestions,  but for anyone who is competent using a computer I would suggest using a standard spreadsheet.

You can draw, shade, use different fonts, different colour text, add notes and dates, shopping lists, and keep track of spending, create plans, record which areas were mucked and when, etc, etc. The flexibility is huge.  I have been using spreadsheets for my allotment planning for about years now and find it invaluable.

But as this is a fairly standard bit of software on many computers why spend more than you need?

Yup- tried it today using some of the ideas from Tee Gee's website and in a few hours knocked out something pretty presentable on Google docs.   

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 16:05:32 »
This is my 2017 Plot layout and first page of my sowing programme.

As you can see in my Plot Layout I have two full sized allotments on it, three greenhouses, and the stock requirements to fill the beds,  all on an A 4 sheet of paper.

No need to scale anything all you need to know is what each column or part column refers to you on your plots/s

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 16:10:06 »
Try it this way around

The red figures are bed or greenhouse sizes and the black text is what is in them
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 16:16:39 by Tee Gee »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 16:13:21 »
Do you you know that I have been on this site for nearly 11½years and this is the first time I have found this photo upload facility.

As they say " live & Learn"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 16:16:04 by Tee Gee »

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 16:39:02 »
Do you you know that I have been on this site for nearly 11½years and this is the first time I have found this photo upload facility.

As they say " live & Learn"

More great stuff- thanks.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 17:15:18 »
All in my head, then I can chop and change at will. I know what is growing, I know what I have planted. I can stand at the top of the plots and see it all, what do I need a planner for?

You make an excellent point.  Planners are not for everyone. Most of the time, I use mine to help my unreliable memory. By looking back I can see what parts of the plot have not had any manure for a couple of years, how long it has been since the top end was used for onions, where I grew beans last year so I can allocate that area for this year's brassicas, etc.

It also helps me to remember which varieties I liked and which ones did not seem to grow or taste as good as others. So, for me, the value lies in being able to check back on previous seasons and use that information to help plan the current season.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 17:49:57 »
Most of the time, I use mine to help my unreliable memory.

So, for me, the value lies in being able to check back on previous seasons and use that information to help plan the current season.

Couldn't put it better myself.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 18:21:28 »
I needed a visual plan because I now have full time "help".  OH has retired and thinks he knows about gardening whereas I think of him as an apprentice under gardener with handy muscles.  His idea of weeding is to blitz every plant, good or bad so, in Belgium, I had the most expensive compost heaps in Europe and had to ban him from the flower beds.

Here, we are laying out a completely new fruit, veg and cut flowers garden and he needs visual aids and measurements or he goes off half cocked.  Can't tell you how many times I've explained that raised beds have to be between 1.2m and 1.4m wide so we can get in from both sides.  What did he do while I was out one day?  Built me 3 raised beds 7.5m long and 2.5m wide because he didn't want raw cut sawn ends...............  Next time he was out all day I shrank one to 1.25m wide and oiled the sawn ends.    Much muttering but he will do it right from now on, once I re-draw the plans to leave one 2.5m wide bed for squashes and sweetcorn to share.

I do have spreadsheets for all my seeds plus another of new plants bought.  If we ever get any rain, I shall add sowing and planting info as I go but meantime, I do need a drawn plan.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal