Author Topic: Chilli growing season is starting!  (Read 22977 times)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
Re: Chilli growing season is starting!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 18:22:37 »
Thanks. I've already started to put an order in for the Tobago Seasoning at Plants of Distinction. I enjoy heat but if what you want is the flavour, the extreme heat limits the amount of accompanying flavour.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 16:59:53 »
I live in Belgium where fresh chillies are mild, to say the least,and seeds are hard to find so I've been looking around for some seeds which will give me fruity heat but not anaesthetise my palette.

Does anyone know these plants?  Cherry bomb, Garden Salsa, Numex Pinata, Hungarian Hot Wax, Habanero Chocolate.     Or have a chilli to recommend?

Obxx - Vendée France

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 17:35:36 »
I live in Belgium where fresh chillies are mild, to say the least,and seeds are hard to find so I've been looking around for some seeds which will give me fruity heat but not anaesthetise my palette.

Does anyone know these plants?  Cherry bomb, Garden Salsa, Numex Pinata, Hungarian Hot Wax, Habanero Chocolate.     Or have a chilli to recommend?

Hungarian Hot Wax might be the same as Hungarian Waxpod - the latter crops well and early - is mild when green and low-medium heat when red - it's just as hot when inbetween but hasn't the flavour it develops when red - unfortunately I find the seeds lose viability quickly and it almost seems that 2nd and 3rd generations are worse. I've tried suppliers on other continents but I still  need to keep buying fresh.

Cherry Bomb is medium and very early and prolific but seems to have nearly as much of a viability problem for me as above.

Habanero Chocolate is very very very hot - if I want stuff like that I can buy a year's supply from the grocer for peanuts.

For an early and productive low-medium chilli with as much flavour as a scotch bonnet I'd recommend Tobago Seasoning.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 17:14:56 »
After reading all of the chilli threads I am tempted to sow more.

Out of curiosity, and because I would like to learn more. . .

How do people use them? Any particular dishes, or dried /crushed/ ground to keep

pepper

Debs

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 17:19:13 »
I freeze mine. Small ones whole, big ones sliced.

Watch out for corrosive spray from manzano/rocotos - they are so juicy they can make the back of your hand feel scalded - never mind tendered parts.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 17:31:07 »
I've taken your advice Vindaloo and ordered the Habanero Tobago Seasoning along with some Hungarian Black.  They arrived yesterday with some free assorted seeds, all of which I sowed earlier today.

I've also found an online supply of whole and powdered Kashmiri chillies and some Chipotles so will be using those very soon.     This winter is dragging on a bit so I need some decent spicy food to cheer me up and, luckily, OH and Possum enjoy it too and I've almost finished the supply of home grown chillies I froze at the end of last summer.
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 18:06:11 »
Chillies keep long time fresh..and when they start going slightly wrinkly and I don't fancy using them as they are..they will be ideal for slicing up and drying for spice.
I haven't frozen any as usually fresh and dried supply keep me going all year round.
As for using..I add some for almost anything :icon_cheers: Not necessary to achieve heat as such but just for their flavour. I can slice mild sort into sandwich to eat as 'salad' veg..some I munch as they are. I sprinkle chilli powder on cheesy toast, onto food on plate, into hot chocolate to make it little extra warming in cold day..added what ever takes my fancy. Sometimes I used fresh chillies as the main ingredient..milder ones are lovely stuffed with bit of mozzarella cheese and bit anchovy and grilled or oven cooked until soft..eaten on crusty bread or French stick with nice cold drink is loooovely... :drunken_smilie:

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 18:36:04 »
Drool......!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 10:10:39 »
All sounds delicious Goodlife,

May have to rummage in seed tray to grow some more - although other threads seem to say it may be too late?

Is it really too late - its only beginning of March !!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 18:07:51 »
I have a little mircale.  One of the Kashmiri chilli seeds has popped despite coming from dried chillies prepared and packed for a mail order spice company.   I am ridiculously proud of it.
Obxx - Vendée France

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:00 »
Obbelix ,well done know the feeling and as I type I am looking at a pot of long black dried chillies  nothing to lose and everything to gain especially as it is snowing .

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 10:09:20 »
Good luck with those.  I have two more Kashmiri chilli babies which will be cosseted to make sure they grow well.    Once again I am ridiculously pleased.

Obxx - Vendée France

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 11:18:04 »
Isn't it brilliant that we can be so pleased when seeds germinate, it used to be handbags &shoes!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:17 »
Never fear.  I've just had serious surgery on my right foot.   Once my other foot is fixed too I shall be going shoe shopping and loving it instead of struggling to find something that fits and is comfy.   I expect that for a brief time that will be exciting but then seeds and plants will take over again.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 12:22:55 »
My favourite is cooking them with green beans and tinned tomatoes with any other veg to hand.   Not bad for using up frozen beans.

Found an old unused seed packet of heatwave and decided to give them a try and the germination has been excellent.  This variety did very well a few years ago.  Strong enough for me.  Not realizing I threw in a whole one into a stew and we were breathing fire like a dragon. 

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 13:18:01 »
All the best obbelix ,  Here's to a little light sowing in kitten heels.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 14:27:20 »
Thanks.  I'm really a wellies or flip-flops girl according to season but some pretty or stylish summer sandals will be lovely for  a change although apparently  shouldn't get any sun on my scars for the first summer or they won't fade so well.
Obxx - Vendée France

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 14:38:56 »
Hi ObbElix,

I had a foot problem in January that ended with a visit to A&E!! I now have to wear shoes that are comfortable, well made and with good support. I also have to add supports to my shoes. I just thought I'd let you know that Brantano have 30% off their shoes this week. I have found very good quality shoes in Brantano. I never shopped there until I had my foot problem. I believe they also have offers on their web site too.

duke :icon_cheers:
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 14:50:24 »
Thanks Duke.  I'm having the big toes straightened and the two next metatarsals shortened on each foot so it'll be a while before I can try on new shoes but I've found good ones in Brantano before.   I'm hoping it will easier with shorter, narrower feet!
Obxx - Vendée France

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 20:58:44 »
For Obbelix: Hungarian Hot Wax is one of my regular varieties. It forms long, largish medium hot chillies and is fairly reliable. Last year in the overcast cool conditions, Fresno was my earliest chilli to form, again average heat. Hot Lemon was my absolute favourite - pretty hot but not at Habanero levels and with a lovely aroma when cut into.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal