Author Topic: 20 Questions!  (Read 1790 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
20 Questions!
« on: December 20, 2012, 13:56:49 »
Years ago I used to listen to 20 questions on the radio (yes I am that old)  :toothy10:

So I thought I would try something similar and see how it goes.

I thought it would create a bit of interest over the winter months in the 'Shed', plus it would keep the old grey matter between your ears fluid!

Before I start I got the Questions & Answers from a book so don't blame me if the answer I give are wrong, even I found some of them questionable at times, but it all adds to the fun.

Rules / Format (if any)

I am not sure which way to take this quiz should give the answers in a few days time and let you check your own, or should you make a reply such as Q1 = XYZ  Q2 = ABC etc

Opinions please as I have lots of other quizzes I used to give the members of our gardening club.

No cheating now and looking up the answers! in other words;  at least be honest with yourself if no one else, because I have no way telling if you cheated or not  so it is up to you.

OK   are you all sitting comfortably?

Then I will begin;   

Quiz number one;

1.   What is Dame Ednas favourite flower.?                                     

2.   Which Spring flower is supposed to be the first to flower in the garden.?                                                             

3.    What is the Japanese name for the art of dwarfing plants                                                                               

4.    Lavender Storm, Fancy Pants and Celebrity  Bunting are varieties of which popular annual.?                           

5.    How high will Rudbeckia ‘Toto’ grow (a) 12inches (300mm) (b) 24inches (600mm) ( c ) 36inches
(900mm).?                                                             

6.    What plant nutrient is greatly reduced in Autumn  Lawn Feeds  (a) Nitrogen  (b)  Potassium          (c)Phosphorous.?                                                     

7.   King Edward, Kestrel and Cara are varieties of what.?               

8.   The Christmas Rose is a member of the Rose family  True / False.?                                                                               

9.    Where was the Rose ‘Playboy’ originally from. (a)  USA.   (b)  Scotland   (c)  Holland.?                                       

10.  What is the main purpose of using Sulphur in the  garden.?                                                                                         

11.    Botrytus (Grey mould) is a result of (a)Over watering  (b)  Bad ventilation (c)  Damp shady sites.?                                                               

12.    Frogs are good for combating slugs/snails True/False.?                                                                                 

13.  What is the difference between Columbines and  Aquilegias.?                                                                                 

14.    ‘Alba’ in a plant name means it is (a)  white  (b)yellow  (c)pink.?                                                   

15.    What was the weight of the three heaviest onions in 1995.  (a) 24lb4oz   (b)34lb2oz   (c)43lb10oz.                               

16.  What is the colour of Polemonium Brise de Anjou, (a)yellow   (b)Yellow/green   (c)green.?                                     

17.  Brown rot is common to apples, plums and pears, True / False.                                                                               

18.  Incurve, Reflex, Intermediate are terms to describe which type of popular flower.?                                                     

19.  Petroselinum crispum is the Latin name for which  popular herb.?                                                                             

20.    Pink Pear, Abraham Lincoln and John Hawkins are varieties of which salad plant.?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: 20 Questions!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 14:12:58 »
Tee Gee, i think    Q1= XYZ IS A GOOD IDEA
 how many days before each quiz ends? timewise.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 14:26:40 »
Tee Gee, i think    Q1= XYZ IS A GOOD IDEA

Thanks for the feedback!

how many days before each quiz ends? timewise.

Lets hear a few more thoughts from others then I will take it from there

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 18:02:51 »
7 is a toughy, it's got me thinking.   :BangHead:      :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 19:41:05 »
I`ll have a stab at it.lol
1/ Gladiolus                            11/B
2/crocus                                 12/True
3/Bonsai                                13/None
4/Petunia                              14/A
5/A                                        15/C
6/A                                        16/B
7/Potato                                17/True
8/False                                  18/Chrysanthemum
9/A                                        19/Don`t know
10/Fungal control                  20/Beetroot
DaiT

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 19:55:44 »
19 Parsley.   

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
The answers
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 14:18:46 »
Answers to QUIZ No1

1.   What is Dame Ednas favourite flower.?    Ans. Gladioli.

2.   Which Spring flower is supposed to be the first  to flower in the garden.?    Ans. Snowdrop.

3.  What is the Japanese name for the art of dwarfing plants  Ans. Bonsai.

4. Lavender Storm, Fancy Pants and Celebrity Bunting are varieties of which popular annual.?  Ans.Petunia.

5. How high will Rudbeckia ‘Toto’ grow(a) 12inches (300mm) (b) 24inches (600mm)  ( c ) 36inches (900mm).? Ans.( a )

6. What plant nutrient is greatly reduced in Autumn Lawn Feeds  (a) Nitrogen       (b)  Potassium (c)Phosphorous.?  Ans.(a)

7.   King Edward, Kestrel and Cara are varieties of what.?    Ans. Potato.

8.   The Christmas Rose is a member of the Rose family  True / False.?   Ans. False.(Hellebore)

9. Where was the Rose ‘Playboy’ originally from;  (a)  USA.   (b)  Scotland   (c)  Holland.? Ans. (b)

10.  What is the main purpose of using Sulphur in the garden.?   Ans.  To neutralize limy soil.

11. Botrytus (Grey mould) is a result of (a)Over watering  (b)  Bad ventilation(c)  Damp shady sites.?  Ans. All of them.

12. Frogs are good for combating slugs/snails True/False.?  Ans.True.

13.  What is the difference between Columbines and Aquilegias.?  Ans. There is no difference

14.‘Alba’ in a plant name means it is (a)  white  (b)yellow  (c)pink.?  Ans.(a).

15.What was the weight of the three heaviest onions in 1995.  (a) 24lb4oz   (b)34lb2oz   (c)43lb10oz. Ans.(c)

16.  What is the colour of Polemonium Brise de Anjou, (a)yellow   (b)Yellow/green   (c)green.? Ans.(b)

17.  Brown rot is common to apples, plums and pears, True / False. Ans. True.

18.  Incurve, Reflex, Intermediate are terms to describe which type of popular flower.? Ans.Chrysanthemum.

19.  Petroselinum crispum is the Latin name for which popular herb.?  Ans. Parsley.

20. Pink Pear, Abraham Lincoln and John Hawkins are varieties of which salad plant.?   Ans. Tomato.

Hope those who took part enjoyed it and got all the correct answers.

I had hoped that a bit more interest would have been shown, so what I will do is put up another, and if there is not much interest in that either I will give it up as a bad job!....Tg

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 15:57:58 »
I am sure there a lot like me who did the quiz but not on line.   Please keep going.   The traffic is nearly gridlocked,  the weather is rubbish and I have finished the crossword so this was  very welcome.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 17:48:07 »
I am sure there a lot like me who did the quiz but not on line.   Please keep going.   The traffic is nearly gridlocked,  the weather is rubbish and I have finished the crossword so this was  very welcome.

I agree.  I did it too, but didn't write them down.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 18:10:21 »
Good job Tee Gee
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/