Author Topic: Adopting vegetables from HSL?  (Read 2206 times)

Nora42

• Acre
Adopting vegetables from HSL?
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:29:29 »
Hello
 just adopted a veg Lazy hosewife bean for my husbands Christmas stocking. Not that he is a gardener but I just thought the name of this bean was too funny to miss and for the fact that it will be opened in front of the outlaws who like to think I am just that  (never been good enough for their boy ) i couldn't resist. :blob7:
has anybody else adopted a veg? and if so what is your experience?
Nora
Norf London

pumkinlover

Re: Adopting vegetables from HSL?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 21:23:10 »
No but I love your story!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 22:17:29 »
Do you get some beans in the deal.  They are very productive and stingless (more or less).  I did not find thme frost hardy so would suggest not sowing too early.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 22:54:03 »
Do you get some beans in the deal.  They are very productive and stingless (more or less).  I did not find thme frost hardy so would suggest not sowing too early.

They are a French bean so not frost hardy at all.

I haven't adopted any veg seeds but am a seed guardian. And hoping to get more seed guardians recruited, so will be running courses on seed saving for dummies next year. As well as starting the notts and Derbyshire seed circle of course.  :blob7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:57:03 »
I found them more cold sensitive than other french bean varieties.   I have grown seed for them but find it very frustrating.  They do not want the varieties which grow well in my lottie and the ones they do want do not grown well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:59:01 by Digeroo »

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:43:35 »

I haven't adopted any veg seeds but am a seed guardian. And hoping to get more seed guardians recruited, so will be running courses on seed saving for dummies next year. As well as starting the notts and Derbyshire seed circle of course.  :blob7:

That sounds great aj, please can I come?!!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:20 »
Garden Organic have good seed saving guidelines on their website http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/members/seed_saving/index.php

French beans are particularly easy since they mostly come true to type.  I just pick the ripe pods and stick them on the window sill or radiator.   My plot neighbour has been kind enough to say that my seeds have a far better germination rate than boughten ones.

Real seeds have good information as well  http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 21:08:11 »

That sounds great aj, please can I come?!!!

Only just seen this - of course you can! We will be holding another event in March and I'll post the details on here nearer the time - and on the website of course. http://www.grogarden.org.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal