Author Topic: Cultivator  (Read 2296 times)

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
Cultivator
« on: December 14, 2012, 14:35:38 »
Hi Everyone -- Merry Christmas To You All

I am considering buying a Cultivator in the new year but after checking a few sites i cannot decide on which make to go for and if i need a 2 or 4 stroke model , i have a heavy soil that i have dug by hand for 2 season's but because of illness i find it has become quite difficult to keep going using this method . All advice is very welcome

Cheers  :icon_cheers:

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
Re: Cultivator
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 15:00:19 »
I bought a mantis tiller 2 stroke earlier this year,off of eBay,it was like brand new,the soil in my garden at home is heavy clay.although i have dug it the last 3 years,the tiller goes through it quite easy,although on parts where i have walked between rows of veg,the ground just needs loosening with a fork before hand,i don't think it would be any good if used on heavy undug land as it just bounced off the surface,hence the loosening prior to cultivating these parts.good luck
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 20:38:41 »
I have had all sorts of rotavators over the past 35 years and bought a Mantis about 4 years ago - it is definitely the best machine I have ever had.   My advice would be to have a look at their webpage http://mantis.uk.com/4stroke_tiller.asp , click the video tab about half way down the page to see it in action.   It does everything they say.   My allotment neighbour has also bought one after he used mine and has the lawn aerator - he is also very pleased with it.   They also give you the option to return it within 12 months for a full refund if you are not happy.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 06:29:44 »
i own a mantis tiller which i call y window box rotavator.they are only 26cc and find it usless on unbrocken ground.i use mine for tilling the beds in the greenhouse.
may i suggest getting one of these,which are well balanced and easy to use.had mine since 2007.
a pleasure to use http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/garden-master-pro-gmt5-5hp-tiller-oBW_F020177B.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:26:24 »
I love my 4 stroke Mantis.  It does only work on cultivated ground.  I was lucky to have a fellow plot holder with a very large rotavator who went over my plot for me.   Since then I have marked out beds and rotavate with my Mantis.  It leaves a wonderful fine soil.   I also use it between my potatoes when they need earthing up.   I then just rake up the soil to nearly cover the tops.  It is so easy to start after I found the nack of doing so. Hope this helps.   If you do think you might send it back, keep the wrapping.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 14:19:08 »
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/ALKO-HOBBY-MH350-4-CULTIVATOR.html I have one of these had it for about ten years now, I still do a winter dig and leave the soil in big lumps then in the spring I go over my plot with this it leaves a loverly soft bed ready to take seeds or plants,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal