Author Topic: The weather TODAY in... (Part 2)  (Read 242261 times)

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Re: The weather TODAY in... (Part 2)
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2013, 13:50:08 »
Really lovely and sunny in South Dorset - quuite warm in the sun but chilly in the shade.   Definitely not beach weather though

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2013, 14:06:00 »
Yesterday, quite cold and fairly grey all day, light rain and drizzle.
Today, very slight frost overnight. So far today a mixture of cloud and sunshine, feels cold but lovely when the sun does come through
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2013, 20:32:23 »
Hard frost last night, which stayed all day in the shade.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:05 »
Cold and frosty day here in Dorset. Cloudy though.At least the sun is shining a bit when the cloud lets it.

Attractive yet slightly worrying red sunrise this morning. The saying Red Sky in the morning Shepherds Warning sprang to mind, meaning bad weather on the way. Great.

Bracing ourselves for what might be to come on Friday.

PS Anyone here from Norfolk? That snowstorm you had yesterday sounded quite shocking. Hope all OK now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:46:59 by Garden Manager »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2013, 14:19:43 »
-7.8C last night.  still snow on the ground.  Walked to town, pavements icy, but a bit better on way back when it got warmer.  Pretty grim, more of the same temperature tonight.  Last night I left the roof hatch open, because with our (now) up to date thick insulation the water tank and pipework are at risk of freezing.  Now freezing dense fog.  Must put more birdfood out.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2013, 17:51:35 »
Icy. I've been helping with the foodbank so no allotment today.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:39 »
No frost again, but wet, cold and miserable. Yesterday was nicer with some sunshine.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2013, 13:00:33 »
Sat here freezing the heating has gone down, and snow is forecast for later to day with a temp of 1c and a low of -1 with more snow to come on Friday and sat   :wave: :coffee2:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2013, 15:18:43 »
Sat here freezing the heating has gone down, and snow is forecast for later to day with a temp of 1c and a low of -1 with more snow to come on Friday and sat   :wave: :coffee2:

Keep warm Jim any way you can, it is soooo cold.  Hope the heating engineer can sort you fast.  Do you have electric fires?

Freezing here - again very hard frost last night and won't get above zero during today either.  Again solid freezing fog.  We had a nice pink sunrise, which looked beautiful against the trees that have frost and snow on them, but minutes later that dreadful freezing fog took over again and has stayed.  Ah well, guess better now than in April or May .....................

Stay safe tomorrow everybody, the weather forecast sounds bad.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2013, 16:31:12 »
Bracing ourselves for the snow to come. Been grey dull and cold today with a few spots of rain just now. Max temp 5c. All indications are we are in for the long haul now. Cold set to stay after the snow so no thaw just yet.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2013, 16:32:57 »
Well...the snow fall has just started here...it is still gentle snowing but looks like its going to come more than just 'bucket full'.
I've prepared for tommorrow..shopped today and did all the errands that needed doing....log baskets are full, coal bucket is full...now all I need to do is just 'sit tight', keep knitting and occasionally nip outdoors to see to chickens.
Keep warm! :wave:

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2013, 18:12:25 »
Went to the lottie this morning but the lock was frozen and I couldn't get in.
Wanted to see if the rhubabrb that I've got covered in a large cardboard box has survived/ready to pick.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2013, 18:13:46 »
Sub-zero here in Lincolnshire. Have been going out a couple of times per day to replace the chickens' frozen water. Don't think I'd fancy sleeping in a wooden box tonight...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2013, 18:38:22 »
Ray spread salt on the slope up to the plot so's I didn't fall on my a*se  :toothy10:
Put some compost in a deep pot with a demi john cloche over it to warm it up. I've got a free trial pack of carrots from DT Brown and they say start sowing in January so, as they said it, I'm going to sow a few seeds  :sunny:
-5 by our shed this morning

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2013, 19:00:42 »
They are predicting a foot of snow for this area tomorrow. That should be fun..NOT.lol
DaiT

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2013, 19:20:41 »
the temperature stayed around freezing all day. Light snow this afternoon, with a quarter of an inch or so on the road outside.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2013, 20:50:18 »
Started snowing about an hour ago, light but it looks like there is a lot up there  :happy7:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:35 »
My date palm is hanging a bit low with the snow on it. The bamboo is also bent double. It will be gone this afternoon as it is getting a bit of rain on it now. only an inch anyway but it has brought the island to a stop. I might have to turn the heat up and waste some of my  gin winter heat allowance. I should be saving it to run the air conditioning in the summer. I bet the postman won't be wearing his shorts today.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:54 »
Hasn't stopped snowing here and I've ran out of bread and got no bread flour so making a run to the nearest shop, then back to hibernate, they say another 6" of snow overnight  :coffee2:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:23 »
Yesterday's little flurry was only a 'trial' fall...just little 'dusting' on the ground. Sky is VERY gray and dark...no snow YET. Otherwise is cold..BRR...I'm just about  to take some more warm water for the girls. This morning they were all enjoying loooong gulps of it...must feel nice when you are out in the cold all the time.
2 eggs ! :icon_cheers:...spring must be on its way.. :sunny:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal