Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 95349 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 12:47:59 »
We've had snow since Saturday so I got OH to heave some dustbins full of compost over to protect som eof the rhubarb plants that had begun shooting in the recent warm spell.  Fingers crossed we don't lose the lot.

No gardening at all apart from that apart from feeding the birds so they stick around to eat all the pests this spring and summer.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 20:31:29 »

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2013, 21:48:21 »
Spent today digging through the permafrost to erect these...

Got 3 more hoops, another 15 foot to go on the end but ran out of time today.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2013, 19:18:55 »
Got down for half an hour, and wheeled four barrowloads of topsoil to finish a raised bed. I won't do more than that in case I mess my back up again. It was snowing so I beat a retreat once I'd raked it all out level.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 13:15:16 »
Potted on the first lot of tomatoes
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2013, 14:56:14 »
Not done much outside lately. A bit too cold. Just been making trips to the greenhouse to check on things, light the heater if a frost is forecast and record temperature and any rainfall that day.

Yesterday after the snow i spent the afternoon clearing the path to the greenhouse so i can still do this safely. Nice bit of exercise bit not really gardening!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2013, 15:03:42 »
Just checked around, we knocked the snow off all the polytunnels and I made sure the compost I've covered to try the trial carrots was ok ready for next week  :happy7:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2013, 17:59:49 »
A snowman and a snowcat in the back garden with the littlun.   :wave:     :coffee2:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2013, 17:47:16 »
Started the trial carrots under the glass cloche, now to see if they live up to the claims  :happy7:

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2013, 19:03:14 »
feed the birds in the garden this morning,and started making a bird table in the outhouse just got to stain it
will do that in the morning
just cant get on the allotment with this snow carries on i might have to make another bird table just to
keep busy

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2013, 20:58:20 »
Barrowed more compost and filled some of the raised beds I've moved for the onions and roots.    :wave:

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2013, 21:02:17 »
Dug up strawberries to transplant at home and took the white strawberries back to plot 1, they're a bit wimpey so they will be in their own pots this year, maybe get a few more berries than the 3 we got last year  :toothy10:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2013, 21:10:09 »
Looked out the window seen all the snow was gone and that spring has sprung bulbs have popped up and my climbers have little leaves on i am so excited i have spent the rest of the day cleaning the house. This means more time for gardening if it drys out a little i have noticed that 2 of the paving slabs have sunk so i have a huge puddle and have popped that on to the hubbies list of jobs to do next weekend :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2013, 22:58:58 »
Went to the allotment and dug up two leeks and some carrots. it was nice to see my plot again after being covered in snow. We've found evidence of mice in the shed. They ripped a carrier bag to shreds I guess to make a nest but no sign of any mice in the shed.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 15:41:20 »
Planted the first of the meteor peas in a piece of gutter and hung it up in the poly to kep them away from the mice, plus, sowed a salad box, pak choi, mixed oriental leaves, beetroot, lollo rosso, radish and spring onions all in a polystyrene fish box  :happy7:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 17:19:53 »
All i managed to do today was put the rubbish out for the bin men without being blown away. Came back into the house to warm up and dry off and decided to pull my seeds out. Now itching to get out into the garden. The pools of water have mostly gone so i am thinking that the weather looks good on friday i might at least turn over the soil and help things dry out and maybe even get some more onions sets into the ground. Far to cold to be planting seeds yet outside but i think now that the heavy snow has past i can get some plastic sheeting and jerry rig a cover for my outdoor shelving units to make some warmer dryer space for seedlings :)

Wheelbarrow is still piled high with weeds which did not make it into brown bags before the snow hit thats a job i am not looking forward to as its all starting to rot down now :( Wheelbarrow is full of melted snow and rain water so last job at the weekend is to pour that out and cover the weeds with something to let them dry out a little maybe the weekend after i can move them.

If i had the money have been very tempted to get a gazebo thing which meant i could go out and work the soil in the garden out of the elements a little but suspect it would blow away before i got anything done :) And the men in white coats might be knocking on the door :) But how great would that be to bring your allotment/back garden beds undercover for a few weeks while you got them all ready to plant and you can do them in your own time and not get soaked to the skin !!   :sunny:

pumkinlover

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 18:04:13 »
I'd thought about the gazebo too Cam7 but I could imagine having to hang on to it on the plot!!
Today I potted on some chillis and tomatoes in the comfort of my little shed, they are back in the front room under LED grow lights now.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2013, 18:26:55 »
Planted half a dozen Shallots in pots in the Summerhouse.   :blob7:

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2013, 18:37:16 »
Sowed some more sweet peas as the ones I sowed in January are just showing. Transplanted my pot leeks, sowed a salad box and some pixie cabbages, spring has sprung here  :toothy10:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2013, 15:40:07 »
Sowed some more sweet peas as the ones I sowed in January are just showing. Transplanted my pot leeks, sowed a salad box and some pixie cabbages, spring has sprung here  :toothy10:

Gosh - I'm already miles behind. Not got the leek seed in yet....

I'm missing my dad's large lean-to-greenhouse. It catches every splosh of winter sun. Mine is chilly so I'm short of room for sowing anything this year. (He has moved across the road and left the greenhouse for my son at the old place.)

Where did you sow your sweet-peas manicscousers? I wondered how much heat you have given them.

I managed to escape as a care assistant came in yesterday so I left my parents to it and vanished to the plot. Another huge chunk dug. (Catching up slowly).  :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal