Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 95332 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #340 on: March 11, 2014, 17:43:33 »
Planted out second batch of broad beans and put bottle cloches on them.  Just about dry enough for a bit of digging in some parts of the garden.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2014, 17:30:30 »
I had planned to have my first long session of the year at the plot today. Got there at 10:00 in warm sunshine  and harvested some leeks and parsnips and dug up my Jerusalem artichokes. Was about to start weeding when the ere was a huge hailstorm, and by the time it stopped the ground was too wet to do anything!  :BangHead: It's been sunshine and showers (mostly hail) the rest of the day.

I hope some of you had a more productive day!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2014, 19:39:04 »
Just popped in after work today to drop some leaf mulch off but have been busy in the week gone by.Started a good few things of in the gh and have my spuds and onions ready to go.Dug over a few beds and had a good tidy up,chopped plenty out of the trees on the fence line and had a nice bonfire.

Also managed to make a oscillating wind turbine thing to help keep the pigeons at bay near my fruit bushes,was a few hiccups but it works well now    :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2014, 20:02:31 »
Sowed a few more tomatoes (indoors), then put a fleece over anything vulnerable in the greenhouse, in case the sharp frost (or a bright sunrise afterwards) causes damage.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2014, 20:44:53 »
Forgot to say, a mysterious benefactor had left four bags of leaves for me!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #345 on: April 04, 2014, 22:32:45 »
Started to upgrade my rain water collection.We have mains water on site but with the climate of council cutbacks and hearsay of water bills ect I should upgrade my rainwater collection,an excuse really as its something I didn't get around to..

I now have two 1000ltr ibcs as headers/collectors of rainwater,and five 210ltr butts fed inline across the plot.lots of connectors to fit and a couple more water butts to add but close and worth the effort.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2014, 19:17:21 »
Pricked out a few more tomato seedlings, dug (where possible), mulched, watered greenhouse.  Harvested PSB and kale.   Pulled all the nettles behind the greenhouse and stuck them into the liquid fertiliser bin.  Mowed a bit (a bit too damp really).   

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #347 on: April 07, 2014, 15:45:19 »
Planted outWinston earlies at last .  :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #348 on: April 09, 2014, 15:24:08 »
I had wanted to do a big bit of digging on Sunday but when I got to the plot, I was told that maybe soon I would be getting a big water butt from the council ! Woo hoo, after 7 years!
So I thought I had better make space in case they plonk it down without asking! I had a little makeshift flower bed full of sage, so I broke that apart, planted the sage in a big pot, raked out the soil. Then I decided that there was getting to be a lot of long grass around, so attacked that a bit with the long grass shears, raked it over, put the weeds in compost.
Next, I attacked a patch for sowing the leeks, added some nice black stuff from the compost bin, sowed the leeks and fleeced them.
After that, I filled two big pots and a big tub and sowed coriander, spring onions and baby leaf for salad. I was quite chuffed!
Picked rhubarb, parsley (have a LOAD, self seeded) swiss chard and perpetual beet leaf (yum). Perused the plot and saw... the bloody vole! Scurrying near the swiss chard. Now I know why it looks nibbled !!! Picked up the cardboard mulch next to it, he's making a little larder for himself!cheeky sod. I put a spare leaf under there for him, maybe he will stop nibbling!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #349 on: April 09, 2014, 17:13:33 »
Finally got my broad bean plants in- they were practically climbing out of the modules! Also harvested the first rhubarb (can't believe one of the plants is bolting already!) and some leeks and parsnips.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #350 on: April 09, 2014, 19:57:09 »
Scythed. All the paths round 2 plots. Some weeds. Some docks and nettles just beyond my plots. Can barely stand now.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2014, 16:54:17 »
Well its may and i have not planted a single thing ! I have nematodes for the ants which i am hoping to pop in later today when it cools down but i am wondering what i still have time to plant ?  :BangHead:

carroteater

• Not So New ...
« Reply #352 on: May 19, 2014, 13:52:39 »
Got my French beans in today and plenty of watering.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #353 on: May 19, 2014, 14:48:35 »
put nets over my gooseberries

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #354 on: May 19, 2014, 23:03:01 »
Planted out beans with bottle cloches, squash with bottle cloches and an anti-slug surround of crushed egg shells, transplanted cabbage from the greenhouse to make room for tomatoes.  The dwarf tomatoes - Silvery Fir Tree, Mydwa and Demidov went out under a large cloche. 

I gave MIL cucumber seeds, then MIL gave me two of her tiny cucumber plants, then her's got eaten by slugs, so today I took my plants to her place.   :sunny:  I have another cucumber variety coming along and she was very happy.

Also spent a good while just enjoying the garden.  The hawthorn is flowering, the elderflower is not far behind, all the different Aquilegia are in full bloom, the first roses.  The garden is a picture at the moment, including the first pea flowers.  And tomato and pepper flowers in the greenhouse.

Sprouting broccoli are still going strong, ditto the Daubenton kales and last year's regular broccoli (overwintered in the mild winter weather) are still producing lots of side shoots, rivalling the sprouty brocs.  The different lettuces are looking their best at the moment, the celery is still producing and the very first pea pods have set.  Broadbeans are in full flower with their lovely perfume too. 

Such a lovely time and glorious weather too.   :sunny:

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #355 on: June 13, 2014, 05:29:01 »
Give the plot a good watering, picked a load of Strawberries and harvested some winter Onions.   :sunny:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2014, 19:32:12 »
I had BIG gardening day today  :icon_cheers:
Got finally round to 'drag' rest of the chilli plants from spare bedroom to lottie to be planted into quadgrow planters, but before I could do that...I had drag (this time literally) bags of compost, fertilizers, sand, composted straw etc. all into one place and make big barrowfull loads of 'my own mix' compost.
Then all 'greenhouses needed watering'....other potted veg plants needed topping up their compost....putting some canes up ready for beans....planted some dwarf beans....during the day I slurped several dripping ripe peaches to keep myself going..*burb*  :toothy10:
And after all that...I tended to chickens and walked the dog..and now I'm knackered!
Time for a BIG  :coffee2:

I did spend little time on phone too...talking about plants....with GJ.. :tongue3: :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 19:36:05 by goodlife »

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #357 on: June 23, 2014, 11:00:00 »
LOL goodlife, don't knock yourself out!

I too was very busy.
Trimmed and tied in the tomatoes, tied in the achocha and cukes, watered abundantly and tried to mulch as much as possible as it is scorching out here. Gave some food to the toms, peppers, squash. Weeded the onions and fruit bushes. Ripped up the broad beans that were covered in rust.  Sowed lettuce, beetroot, turnips, snowpeas and french beans. Planted out more broccoli. Picked rhubarb, lettuce (bolting), broad beans.
Pretty knackered today in fact!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2014, 19:42:47 »
Dug up more new spuds before the rain came down. 

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #359 on: July 07, 2014, 14:48:29 »
I like this time of year when you come back with as much stuff as you take down.  :toothy10:
I had to dig over the spud patch since the potato thieves have ruined all the haulms (grrr even the PinkFir Apple which are nowhere near big enough to harvest) and so in its place I planted out my winter leeks and 6 brussel sprout plants plus sowed some swiss chard to plant out.  I ripped out the peas that are finished, dug in several bucketfuls of compost and sand and sowed late carrots, mizuna and parsley (bit of wishful thinking there). Planted out 12 lettuce plug plants, tied in the cucumbers, added a new stake to the achocha that is going wild, and added the rest of the compost as mulch round the tomatoes and squashes. Sowed some French beans to fill in the gaps in the existing rows.
Picked the remaining spuds (King Edward 7, they look great, what is left of them...), the last peas and the first French beans,  the first 2 onions (one red one brown), and two lovely young courgettes. I also picked all the red gooseberries, they are small but lovely so I shall have to make jam this week.
And I was totally knackered coming back ! Plus my legs today feel like lead!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal