Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 96555 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2013, 14:38:16 »
Apart from completely kn*ckering myself as I had little time between two cloud bursts (!!), I:
weeded a lot! they are taking over the shop. My kingdom for a strimmer!!! Pulled out some turnips that were just rubbish, all woody
harvested - a couple of garlic heads that were ready (lovely this year!), a lettuce, a big bagful of mizuna, some spring onions, about 10 sticks of rhubarb (already chopped in freezer), about 5 pounds of new potatoes and 4 artichokes
planted - some French marigolds and asters that I had sown indoors, pricked out about a dozen lettuces
sowed - wild rocket, basil, more beetroot, lettuce, romanesco, red drumhead cabbage, holland winter cabbage, calabrese and white sprouting broccoli
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06:38 »
Planted swede,beetroots more runner beans ,first ones were not very good and the birds don't help,and radishies. :happy7:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2013, 19:32:19 »
Yesterday I harvested Strawberries, new spuds, Carrots, Onions and some baby Beets.    :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #283 on: July 13, 2013, 21:53:35 »
Sorted out another swarm. that's two arrived this week, one on Thursday and one today. Picked some mangetout peas. Goldensweet, Kent Blue, Dwarf Grey Sugar (which isn't dwarf), Carouby de Mausanne and Winterkefe.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2013, 23:17:42 »
I cut the grass,weede most of my plot with the hoe,and let the sun dry it out,picked some strawberries,tied a few tomatoes up,in the greenhouse,The wife started the BBQ I then just chilled out with a few beers.oh I nearly forgot,i did the washing up as usual.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2013, 14:09:59 »
Water, weed, harvest.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2013, 14:30:17 »
Hopefully, pollinated a Crown Prince squash with flower from a Friulana Rugosa courgette. So far have had only one male flower open on a squash (Festival) but three females on one Crown Prince plant. Also fed all squashes and beans in containers with liquidised chicken pellets - a good handful in a 7 l watering can left overnight to dissolve and then well stirred.

Tricia

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2013, 08:24:56 »
Hopefully, pollinated a Crown Prince squash with flower from a Friulana Rugosa courgette. So far have had only one male flower open on a squash (Festival) but three females on one Crown Prince plant. Also fed all squashes and beans in containers with liquidised chicken pellets - a good handful in a 7 l watering can left overnight to dissolve and then well stirred.

Tricia

It won't have been pollinated because Crown Prince is a cucurbita maxima species and friuliana Rugosa is a cucurbita pepo.  The don't have compatible pollen under normal conditions.  However occasionally a squash can get tricked into thinking it has been pollinated when it hasn't and produce a fruit.  This is seedless and may be aborted by the plant.  Lets hope you will soon get matching male and female flowers on the Crown Prince.  Because there are a lot of c maxima squashes around, and bees travel a long way, there is a good chance that a bee may have already provided compatible pollen for your female flowers.  Fingers crossed.

I did exactly the same, watered and fertilised squashes here.  The first male flower opened yesterday and there are some female buds on the plants with miniature squashes underneath the flower bud.  They are coming on well in this weather.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #288 on: July 19, 2013, 18:07:43 »
Nothing i cant even get the shovel out of the soil i was digging over 2 weeks ago ! Suspect tonight i will be going around with the weed killer  after we have given everything a soaking i cant keep up with them.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #289 on: July 21, 2013, 10:45:10 »
Yesterday I watered and weeded
Harvested spuds, carrots, baby beetroots and received a large swede from one of my lottie mates.   :blob7:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2013, 21:43:21 »
Well after a very wet start to the day the sun came out and i legged it outside and dug over all but 2 bits of my 3 beds before the rain descended again. Uncovered another ants next which i distroyed 1st with a full kettle of hot water (well full less enough for 1 cup of tea) and then dug it over.

Black membrane is going down again and going to plant though that with some wood chips on and more carrots and parsnips are being sown into grow bags to make winter harvesting easier - cunning plan :)

I have spent the rest of today shredding paper :) tempted to dig some into the soil shame to waste it but the ants might like that :(

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #291 on: August 13, 2013, 16:04:10 »
Harvested the last of my RDOY and my first Charlotte's at the weekend.   :sunny:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #292 on: August 13, 2013, 17:52:24 »
Harvested several kilos of tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, courgettes... did a bit of clearing on an overgrown border..  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2013, 08:20:07 »
Most of the peas have stopped producing and the plants have been removed,  prepared the area with extra compost from a newly 'harvested' bin and planted late autumn mixed greens.  Protected with bottle cloches because the slugs are a menace again.  Harvested International Kidney potatoes and broccoli.  I had been winnowing home saved lettuce seeds outside the back door earlier in the year and found 5 couple inch high lettuce seedlings in the grass last week.  Hoiked them out quickly before the next mow and into small pots.  Today they will be transplanted with a bottle cloche each.  Also nice tiny endives, which are also in little pots at the moment.  Shouldn't have mown, because now the 'lawn' looks very brown but overnight rain will hopefully fix that.  Harvested really pretty patty pan courgettes and tomatoes too.  More late sowing today, cress, rocket and lamb's lettuce.

lady_bug

• Not So New ...
  • Lazing on a sunny afternoon
« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:08 »
This was Thursday (was working yesterday so it was just enough time to water the toms, peppers and cucumbers after work and before it got dark) ...Stripped the plum tree of all the decent fruit (3lb so gave some to a friend.. rest is going in a crumble) before the birds got at it, weeded around the fruit bushes, looked to see how the onions are coming on (they were planted late so I've no idea if they will grow like they are meant to or not, but figured with the upside down weather we have had this year, I had nothing to lose by planting them) and gazed lovingly at the cardboard which is covering over a recently dug empty patch..

Today, I'm glad of the rain as it will make the ground easier to dig, but would like it not to rain all day so that there is a hope of getting out there at some point.
Conquering the jungle, one weed at a time

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #295 on: August 24, 2013, 18:53:26 »
Weeded, weeded, hoed, cut stuff back, cleared paths, ......and the weeded some more!!!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2013, 20:23:10 »
cleaned out the shed what a tip, and picked 3lb blkberrys  and they are bolied up with cloves and spices smells like Xmas , they are now in the jelly bag dripping away until the morning then jam making :toothy10:

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2013, 16:24:44 »
Over the weekend I pulled up a load of old marigolds
Weeded and watered
Heped the littlun making our ladybird home thingy
Harvested Sweetcorn, Beetroot, Carrots, French beans and my first Romanscu.    :sunny:

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2013, 19:51:26 »
Harvested Beetroot, Spuds, Onions and Mustard Leaves.   

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2013, 20:22:44 »
cut down the last of my sunflowers, hung some of the smaller heads out for the birds and put the biggest into the garage to dry further, hope to harvest some seed for next year.
harvested my beetroot - not much as I hadnt thinned enough, only enough for a couple of jars for my nieces.
cleared out the tomato plants from the tent greenhouse
and dodged the rain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal