Author Topic: Price of Barn Cloches  (Read 7179 times)

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
Price of Barn Cloches
« on: March 05, 2005, 18:36:36 »
Whats the typical prices of barn cloches?
I have been offered some glass barn cloches, 2foot wide by 2foot length. I think the hight was 9 inches (although this now sounds low!!!...I might have heard it worng). Well I was wondering how much these typically cost.
Thanks,
Thomas

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Price of Barn Cloches
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 15:10:24 »
Thomas - couldn't find your message - see my cloche thing in Edibles.

If you could still get the Chase fittings, the cost of glass would only be about £3. They are what were used commercially for decades. I've had mine for 30+.

The poly panes cost about £2.50 each, about 8 years ago, I think! But don't break.

thomasb

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 19:06:35 »
Thanks Tim,
I have been offered the barn cloches at £2 each.

Thomas

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 19:37:36 »
Send me some!!

thomasb

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 20:10:22 »
Tim,
I am getting 25 in total, 20 for myself and 5 for friends. I will be collecting them next weekend and will post here a picture after that if I think of it.
The guy I am buying them from says he has about 1000. There are comming from some commercial grower that is getting out of the business.

In another posting you mentioned that you pin yours down to keep them from blowing away. What do you use to pin them down with?
Thomas

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 09:45:55 »
Are they glass or poly-c??

thomasb

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 20:15:23 »
glass

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 07:35:21 »
Sounds great value? What sort of fittings?

With glass, no need to pin down, but you MUST have the open ends blocked with another sheet of glass to stop the wind giving lift-off. And to avoid a drafty tunnel.

thomasb

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 21:56:26 »
A few people asked me what the barn-cloches are like. I collected them this weekend. I attach some pictures.

For Tim: The fittings appear to be very like that of the glass cloch you posted in a different posting last week. I may have a few spare fittings as I received more fittings as I did glass.

Thomas

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 08:21:26 »
You lucky so-&-so!!

The real Mc Coy - & at that price.

Did you assemble them? If not, take a good look at the fittings - they can be a nightmare for even an old hand!!

I'm sure the chap told you how to vent them?

thomasb

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 20:37:21 »
Tim,
I was shown how to assemble and vent them. Still it took a while to put them up on Sunday. I now have a row covered. I will put up the rest next weekend.

I guy that sold them also gave me a handy hint for using these cloches for outdoor tomatoes. He said to place 2 on ends, in a tower like mannor and tie around the top with twine.
I expect you could use these for courgettes early in the season as well.

Thomas

Kitchengardener

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 22:26:09 »
Hi, I've just seen the pictures of your barn cloches and wondered if you could put me in touch with the seller of the cloches. I'm part of the team that runs the Kitchen Garden at Tatton Park in Cheshire. We've been looking for traditional glass barn cloches for ages and this could be our chance to get some.

Jayemsee

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 21:40:25 »
Hi Kitchengardener,

Just read this post as I've found an ad for 2000 of these cloches and was looking for prices ~ d'you still want some?
I only want a few but they're in the tail end of Cornwall so wondering if we could share postage/courier!  :)x

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:28:44 »
Jayemsee, welcome to A4A. 

I noticed that Kitchengardener has not been on here for 13 years so it is very unlikely that you will hear from him or her.  In fact the post below is the only one they have ever made on here.  If you click on Kitchengardener you will be able to look at their profile. 

Hopefully, someone else may see this thread and show an interest in sharing the barn cloches with you. 

Jayemsee

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 18:06:28 »
Thanks Paulines7, I put a new post about them too so hopefully someone will be interested! :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:02 »
I noticed that Kitchengardener has not been on here for 13 years so it is very unlikely that you will hear from him or her.

I made a mistake in that post.  I should have said "has not been on here for 8 years".

Still a long time though!

AlanO

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 09:32:32 »
Just looked at them on ebay. The seller doesn't make it entirely clear but mentions £5 per cloche, £3 without glass as cheaper p&p, which suggests selling individually or bulk. 
I appreciate they don't look as authentic but you can buy green plastic clips with glass or Perspex to make them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal